Leaking pluming!!!

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working 70 hours a week minimum. Stressed beyond belief and i now have a leak with my tank. I noticed a dripping sound coming from under the stand… worst fear. Found water coming down from the threads of the bulkhead… could be cracked? I can’t really tell at the moment. Anyone know if I can phill swift this and throw some flex putty on it? It’s a 150 reef tank with 15k+ in coral and fish. Replacing the bulkhead isn’t an option without draining the entire tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m working 70 hours a week minimum. Stressed beyond belief and i now have a leak with my tank. I noticed a dripping sound coming from under the stand… worst fear. Found water coming down from the threads of the bulkhead… could be cracked? I can’t really tell at the moment. Anyone know if I can phill swift this and throw some flex putty on it? It’s a 150 reef tank with 15k+ in coral and fish. Replacing the bulkhead isn’t an option without draining the entire tank
Likely overtightened and stretched. When I had that, I laced a bucket underneath as it was slow. On the weekend, I drained the tank, added new gasket and although not recommended asmear of aquarium sealant in lieu of grease on seal and all fixed

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does replacing a bulk head require draining an entire tank?

Anyway, may just need a little tightening but I’ll add that the plastic nut on my bulkhead always liked to slip if overtightened. I’ve been meaning to replace it by draining the overflow but have never gotten around to it. I try not to go near it or touch the drain pipe that comes out of it.

OP
OP
K

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does replacing a bulk head require draining an entire tank?

Anyway, may just need a little tightening but I’ll add that the plastic nut on my bulkhead always liked to slip if overtightened. I’ve been meaning to replace it by draining the overflow but have never gotten around to it. I try not to go near it or touch the drain pipe that comes out of it.
Overflow overflows and drains through the bottom

OP
OP
K

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we see a picture of the bulkhead? Where is the location of the bulkhead? Bottom of tank?
Bottom of the tank. It’s a corner overflow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 31

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see where in the area of the bulkhead it’s leaking? Running down the threads? Dripping from under the nut?

Can you gently tighten it?

OP
OP
K

Kyle_bania

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see where in the area of the bulkhead it’s leaking? Running down the threads? Dripping from under the nut?

Can you gently tighten it?
I believe the threads because they are wet. I’ve messed with the plumbing slightly and gotten it to stop dripping… every 30 seconds or so

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the threads because they are wet. I’ve messed with the plumbing slightly and gotten it to stop dripping… every 30 seconds or so
If you were able to give the bulkhead nut a little turn, it was probably just loose. It might take several minutes for water under the gasket to work it’s way out.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom of the tank. It’s a corner overflow

Maybe I’m not understanding the issue. Why do you need to drain the whole tank if you have a corner overflow?

Stop the return pump. Push an empty gallon jug into the main tank area to displace some water. Drain the overflow part.

What am I missing?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed as said above! I just recently replaced my 'return' bulkhead as I went to a dual drain setup and moved the return to a 'over the top' setup. Pumped out/ drained my corner overflow and swapped it all. It was a royal pain due to being a corner drain but I didn't loose too much water. This was on a 120 gal. Only thing I can think of is that you have a overflow that's leaking ?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a corner overflow just drain the few gallons to bring it up to the overflow intake and replace the bulkheads… will prob clean a lot of nasty stuff out of that overflow as well

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow overflows and drains through the bottom

If you have an overflow then you should only have to drain the overflow. Not the entire tank.

I have slathered silicone around a bulkhead before just to get it to temporarily stop for the night until I could fix it the next day. DO NOT expect stuff like that to be a permanent fix.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, if it is just a corner overflow, drain that. Then inspect the bulkhead and the seal Looking for any signs of tears or cracks. While you have it out, clean the area of debris so when you put it back in it has a flat unobstructed area to form the seal. I just went though this on my tank a few months ago. I just bought a new bulkhead because I got tired of thinking mine was okay. After doing the above steps, I have had no issues with it leaking yet…..haha
good luck!

corey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back