Leaning rocks on glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter dib
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dib

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2013
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just cleaning my tank and changing the rocks a little. Wondering if people lean rocks on the back wall to help with stability.
 
Yes I do, my 3 made up caves are leaned up against the back glass or the glass and the overflow.

Once i am happy with a look i push on the rocks hard and wiggle them to see how much play is there to make sure a fish or anything else cannot knock it over by mistake.
 
I have in the past, but not any more. If you do, put a powerhead behind them blowing from one side of the tank to the other to keep detritus from settling behind the rock where you won't be able to reach it.
 
I have in the past, but not any more. If you do, put a powerhead behind them blowing from one side of the tank to the other to keep detritus from settling behind the rock where you won't be able to reach it.

I also use to but no more its is easer to clean now and no place for bad stuff to collect. and now I can get good flow every where.
 
You can lean them on the back but I wouldn't. Detritus builds up and fish can hide from you back there, which annoys me. If I were to re aquascape I'd move the rocks to the middle and make two islands.
 
Yea, almost my whole back of the tank has rocks leaning on it. I just use a powerhead once a month to blow out the garbage.
 
No, my rocks are leaving on rocks. There is a perfect figure right of water flow around all rock structures...much planning a preparation pre tank setup went into this.
 
i used to until my friend had the back pane of glass seperate from the sides from the pressure! if you do it then do it with caution!
 
I do and have never had problems in the past other then detritus that like mentioned can be sorted out periodically.

I don't have a choice with my tank being 25inch long x 13inch wide x 36inch high, so sort of have to haha :D
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new