LEARNING SPS FRAG PHOTOGRAPHY

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I am semi-retired (and house-bound by Corona) I have decided to finally learn how to improve my “Frag Photography” techniques. I use to have a couple of websites where I sold SPS frags but never mastered the aquarium photography techniques (for frags). I’ve been away from the hobby for 2 years because of moving, and am now getting back to my SPS collecting and photography.

i’ve been using a Canon PowerShot SX50HS with a zoom Lens 50x15; 4.30215.0mm 1:3.4-6.5 USM.

I played around with various “cellophane” color filters and settled on 3 (depending on the predominant color of the coral: red, green or blue and just taped them to my lens....but need to do better than "cellophane"). I shot in the RAW mode and used the Canon Digital Photo Professional to add back colors. I then used PhotoShop to further enhance colors and to trace the corals and black-out the background (a very tedious and imperfect technique). I built a camera box by cutting a black plastic jug in half (longitudinally), adding a tilted black eggcrate platform, and placed it up against the glass at the bottom of an aquarium with halide lighting. (I now have Radion LED’s).

I know there are a ton of articles in this forum that I need to read but I’m hoping someone can guide me through some basic questions and concerns regarding Equipment and Technique:

EQUIPMENT
  • CAMERA: I’m hoping my Canon PowerShot SX50HS will be OK to work with. If anyone thinks I’m wasting my time with this camera, I’m “all ears” and will consider making a new purchase if I have to (although my first choice would be to work with my present camera)
  • -I also have a Nikon COOLPIX underwater camera, purchased for a recent snorkeling trip. I haven’t tried it yet in my tank but I’m guessing it will not be my best bet. (see photos)
  • LENS: I’m guessing it might pay to consider a different lens; Macro? Any specific recommendations?
  • COLOR FILTERS: Any specific brand/type?
  • CAMERA BOX: I am ready to up-grade to something more professional than my home-made box. (Most shots I take are horizontal, but there will be an occasional frag that I will want to shoot from the top or at a ¾ angle if possible. Perhaps having eggcrate at different angles will solve this? Any specific recommendations?
TECHNIQUE
- I am wide open for suggestions here!
-Should I be using RAW MODE still or is there a better/easier way to do this?
-I know this is where I need to do a lot of reading, but any quick hints/suggestions and specific articles to read would be helpful.
-(I do use a tripod and stop water flow)

Present camera(s):
cameras.jpg

Here are some photos I’ve taken in the past (You can see why I need help!) J

Thank you for any guidance!

20,000 Leagues: f/3.4; 1/25 sec; ISO-160; focal length 4mm
20K.jpg

ASD RAINBOW: f/3.4; 1/25 sec; ISO-160; focal length 4mm
asd sm.JPG

VIVID Pink Mille: f/3.4; 1/10 sec; ISO-160; focal length 4mm; (tough to get true RED)
pink mille.JPG

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up and beautiful pictures! Bravo!
Thank you for the kind words BUT I posted this because I know there is a lot of room for improvement! I'm hoping to get answers to some of my basic EQUIPMENT and TECHNIQUES questions (above), like:
-Can I get decent pictures with my Canon PowerShopt SX50HS as it is? Does the zoom lens take the place of a MACRO or should I consider buying a better MACRO lens?
-RAW mode? Other technique tips?
-Advice for a Black Camera box for frags?
-Filters?
-Any specific instructions as to how to exactly set the camera would be helpful.
.......I know, you're probably expecting the next question to be "will you please come take the photos for me!" :D
Thanks again!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....I probably asked too many questions at one time. So let me try asking just ONE question.
My wife always says, (which makes me mad but laugh), "when writing to a man you can only ask one question at a time!" ;)

While waiting and hoping for replies yesterday, I read ALL of the STICKY threads and learned a lot....but my main question still remains:

Can I get decent SPS frag photos using the zoom lens that came with the Canon PowerShot SX50HS (zoom lens 50x15; 4.3-215.0mm 1:3.4-6.5 USM.... don't know what all this means)….OR should I seriously consider buying a better MACRO lens?

If I do buy a MACRO lens, I don't think I would be able to spend $600 at the moment. So, is it possible to buy an acceptable one (for my purpose) in the $200 range and would that quality MACRO give me much of advantage over the zoom that I have presently?

Thank you for your opinions and recommendations!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ughhhhh!! Just learned that the lens on my camera can't be removed! You can see I'm a true novice. SORRY!! So, perhaps I may ask a different question...

Since it looks like I have no option to improve my MACRO capability and may be "stuck" with my present camera (unless I decide to splurge in the near future) my plan will be to try to improve my RAW mode "developing" technique and camera settings.
From the sticky threads I learned that I should use the AV setting (not the P setting that I had been using which uses the AUTO mode).
I briefly looked at the AV setting but am not sure how to go about setting the various parameters. What should I set first (as the most important parameter): ISO? (200?)...then adjust the "light"?

Here are other decisions to be made:
- RAW or RAW/JPEG?
-AWB or Cloudy (as recommended in the "stickys")?
-1920,1280 or 640
- L, M1, M2 or S (for email)?

Thanks for helping!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don’t black out the outer sections of the image. Use your depth of field to blur the background.
I shoot everything in RAW. No need for a JPG back up file. Als shot everything in the largest format. You can always shrink the image in post processing. (L)

1920, 1280 or 640? Assuming that’s for video Or Picture format. Again In either case largest available which in this case is 1920.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don’t black out the outer sections of the image. Use your depth of field to blur the background.
I shoot everything in RAW. No need for a JPG back up file. Als shot everything in the largest format. You can always shrink the image in post processing. (L)

1920, 1280 or 640? Assuming that’s for video Or Picture format. Again In either case largest available which in this case is 1920.
Thank you for your response. That is all good info and will provide for a good start for me.
I just ordered Photoshop 2020 (I had Photoshop 12.0), a book on RAW photography, and a book on Photoshop 2020...… so I will be busy!

Does anyone know where I can buy a photo box for frags? I was thinking of a black box to push up against the glass. (I guess I can make one as a last resort). But, if I use AZMSGT's advice and just blur out the background, maybe I don't need the box and I could just hang a eggcrate shelf high in the tank against the glass and line up the frags for pics??). I guess I was thinking that for taking pics of frags for listing on a website, the black background would look nice.

Is it generally agreed that shooting RAW on the AV mode rather than P is the way to go? (I'm sure it will depend on how well someone is able to perform the required tasks, though).

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn why shooting in RAW and in AV is preferred. Cameras are great tools and so many people have no idea how to really use them. The manuals don’t really do most cameras justice.
AV is aperture priority mode, adjusting your aperture is what allows you to adjust your depth of field or as I stated above blur. I could write a book on just depth of field.

RAW is best for post processing. Another subject worthy of a book.

A quick internet search and I found these.

No offense but I’m not going to go into all the details. There is a ton of info in the stickies on this forum that you need to read. Also photo forums and the internet in general has more info on the subject so use google and youtube to learn. Books like the Joy of digital Photography will teach you allot too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn why shooting in RAW and in AV is preferred. Cameras are great tools and so many people have no idea how to really use them. The manuals don’t really do most cameras justice.
AV is aperture priority mode, adjusting your aperture is what allows you to adjust your depth of field or as I stated above blur. I could write a book on just depth of field.

RAW is best for post processing. Another subject worthy of a book.

A quick internet search and I found these.

No offense but I’m not going to go into all the details. There is a ton of info in the stickies on this forum that you need to read. Also photo forums and the internet in general has more info on the subject so use google and youtube to learn. Books like the Joy of digital Photography will teach you allot too.
Thanks again, AZMSGT, for the helpful info. It is nice to know that these photo boxes are available, but now that you suggested just blurring out the background I will wait and try that first before ordering a box. But first, I will await delivery of the books I have ordered which I know will take a long time to study. (It will be a while before I can make frags anyway! :) )
I will also look into the book you recommended...(The Joy of Digital Photography)
Thanks again for helping!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back