Leaving space between the Aquascape and Back Glass: Why should you?

How much space do you leave between the aquascape and back glass?

• None

Votes: 63 8.7%
  • Very little

Votes: 106 14.6%
  • Couple inches

Votes: 396 54.6%
  • Wide Open

Votes: 140 19.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.8%

• Total voters

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as their is enough room to clean (vaccum the sand) and to clean out a bare bottom sweeper power head then there really is not such a thing as too much room between the glass and the rock. Just make sure that all the sand can be cleaned because of the buildup of crap in the sand can cause “old tank syndrome”

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NSA, so I have a lot of open space in the back. I'd guess about 5 inches minimum at the base, but then the majority of the back wall has more room than that.

Better flow is one reason.

The fish like it, even though in another thread someone tried to say NSA doesn't give fish places to hide, they go hide behind the rocks. My tangs have their own little "beds" in the sand, except the blue tang, which prefers to wedge in the rocks.

And I have other things back there, a sponge, gorgonias, and a rather large finger leather that I've had for about 4 years now. Plenty of room for even the leather finger, and because it's NSA you can still see it, even though much of it is blocked directly by a large arm that overhangs in front of it.

SHINYSuccubus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?

2. Why should you or why should you not leave space?

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
i like the space in back because the tangs luuvvvvv the swim room!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I leave about 3-4 inches on all sides between the rock work and glass.

2. When I was in younger reefing days with smaller tanks I chocked the tank full but then learned how hard it was to maintain without proper flow and I always had high nitrates on my tank. Now I keep it far enough to leave room for flow and get a tube down there so I can clean. I like the open concept much better, looks cleaner design wise too. Now that I have a bigger tank, it doesn’t look empty when I leave a bit of space. I did take away quite a few “hiding spaces” but I’ve always ran lighter on fish anyway.

velvetelvis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've attached cut slices of rock and smaller chunks to the back wall of my Nuvo10 with superglue. On the floor is a flat live rock with attached corals.
It looks more like what I see snorkling near islands, and I want to see my tsb perching on/in the various holes and rock appendages instead of hiding in the back. I only have sand dollar porites and lepto for sps,and they seem to do fine with the flow, and there is no cleaning of the back glass.

20211108_195816.jpg
That's kind of ingenious. I may try this if I end up upgrading my 40B to a 65.

I left 2"-3" of clearance behind the rock, and about 1" on each side, for better flow, cleaning, and the avoidance of detritus buildup. It also lets me stir the sand periodically, which the corals and sponges enjoy. I also have a very shy sunburst anthias who likes to hover behind the rocks rather than swimming in the open most of the time.

Last edited:

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 280g DT is against a wall and is 72x30x30... Decided it was best to stack the rock against the back glass. There are +/- to this as others have noted... Flow is a challenge.
However, I don't need to clean the back wall as the rock is against most of it and there is little to no light due to the lights being mounted toward the front 1/3 of the tank. Works well for algae management and the back glass has stayed clean without any intervention from me.
Plus, don't know how I would ever clean it given it's 30" deep, a hood, and against a wall... with no way to reach it from either side

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today let's talk about the space or room between the aquascape and the back glass. I'm a big fan of having the space for several reasons like flow, frag holding, swimming space etc. But I'm wondering how you feel about it. Some will stack rock against the back glass for stability or to have more room for the front of the tank and I get that too. Let's talk about it.

1. Do you leave space between the aquascape and back glass? If so how much space?

image via @snafte
image.jpeg

image via @snafte
image.jpeg

I don't leave much room behind the rock and glass, even though I know it is important to do so for flow. I have a 3 or 4" piece of pvc in back of tank for my snow flake eel, so I have rock stacked around it so you can't see it. Which means some of the rock does touch the glass in areas.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the same amount as my Bracing on the bottom of my tank, so roughly 4"s. It allows good flow along the back side to prevent detritus from settling and it is also easier to clean.

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
I like to have at the back the same space as at the front

Thomas Lockard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
87D01466-A13F-4DDA-B602-2C23DE76EC94.jpeg
I have arches and bridges all over so some of the rock touches the back wall just to help with support but most of the rock is free standing.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOWLR: The larger the fish in the tank, the more swim-through room I leave behind the rocks.

Last edited:

Reefer Jon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep some space but the tank is so small I can't really accommodate it with everything in there.

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave a few inches. Wanna give my fish places they can hide. Also to help promote water circulation.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Minimum space is enough to pass the biggest algae scrubber I own.
2. I don't have back walls, my tanks are peninsulas.

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave plenty of space for cleaning the glass and so that no corals grow on the glass as well.

Attachments

• 16364991203647056747825656727888.jpg
    16364991203647056747825656727888.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 52

hawaiianflutist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image via @snafte
image.jpeg
I make sure there is enough space (2-6 inches) around my rocks for the fighter conch to make it’s rounds. Works great to keep the substrate clean.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I allow about 3"

I leave space for two reasons:

1- allow magnet cleaner to clear the coral without hitting them
2- allow flow to prevent buildup of detritus and mulm

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has two overflows, so in the space between the two overflows I have rock glued together with caves. The main aquascape is two groups in front of the overflows and have space between them and the overflows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back