Led bars suitable under lid

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I have been looking all over for info on this, but came up short. So I figured I'd just ask :)
I am setting up a new tank and have yet to find adequate lighting for it. I am confined to a 4 inch height canopy.
Ive been looking at the new AI Blade but shipping is incredibly expensive.
The tank is 5ft and Im mostly thinking LPS dominated with some easier SPS near the top.

So I've been looking at led bars like, Orphek, AliE, Lumenbars and others. They would have to be dimmable.
I am just worried that mounting led bars this close to the surface will result in disco effect and will possibly be to rough on the led bar itself thermal wise. Maybe they are not intended to work in such confined spaces.

To the point:
Has anybody here had experience with mounting led bars this close to the water surface, inside a.. lid basically with good effect?

The tank in question:

diversa 450.jpg

Also, have a great weekend everyone!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With this much space, I would be worried about both burning the corals as well as the fixture itself, not to mention a possible fire hazard.

If the reason why you want to keep the lid is due to evaporation, then you can easily take a transparent plexiglass which would transfer light well enough to get good PAR numbers, or simply have an ATO which in both cases would make your life easier.

Otherwise, even if everything else turns out to be within the normal working conditions, you need to remember that you only have 4" (even less) for spread, which is quite limited and would require you to put many dimmable bars in there to be able to have a good light distribution across the tank without burning corals in the process, and most bars on the market aren't dimmable to start with.

OP
OP
R

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, this is a challenge. The lid is on for asthetic reasons. Happy wife, happy life.
However, anything under the lid is fair game, 3 bars would probably do the job.
But, splashing and temperature is a concern.

EZKLR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine mounted under a hood and seems fine. I don't notice any disco effect or thermal issues

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back