Led bead upgrade help

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I want to change out some of my led beads in my ocean revive fixture . I am just so stumped on all the different spectrums out there . Plus this fixture only has two channels to control. So with this original lay out what would you change.

7F4B4591-3071-4281-AE67-62AFD452D504.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first we would want to know what is it about the fixture's light that you don't like? Is it too white, too blue? What is it you want to change? That levels do you run your 2 channels at now?

It grows coral just fine as it is. And you run the risk of overheating the circuit board when you solder in the new leds and ruining the fixture.

I used to work for Ocean Revive and I didn't like having the red and green leds. I consider them of very little value. I always wanted the fixture to have a 60/40 split with 60% being various blues and violets (maybe even a few true UV) and 40% whites without the reds and greens. Would that be a better light? Not really, but I would have liked it better.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the benefits of having 10k and 12k , was thinking about maybe a few 4-6 k . I was thinking about cyan and mint . Maybe some violets and some uv. Just not sure which ones to take out and where to replace with new ones .

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapping the higher kelvin whites with lower kelvin will help. But the thing is,I don't think mint or lime is made in the Bridgelux format though. You would have to remove the whole led array and perfectly align new single diodes on heatsink where the old diodes would be.

The Bridgelux violets will be cheap but will burn out quickly due to heat. Optics will melt and the diode will burn out.

I thought about doing the same thing to my OR fixture but figured it wasn't worth it.

But,swap the cool whites with warms and neutrals,add some cyans and cool/true blues if there is none there already. Add a few violets.

Take a few cool/true blues,replace with violets on the royal blue channel.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing the same thing to my OR fixture but figured it wasn't worth it.

That sentence says it all.

What do you think mint, cyan and UV will do for you? IMHO you won't be able to see a change in color and your corals couldn't care less.

OP
OP
me & my baby

me & my baby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By adding the mint and cyan I should be able to get rid of a lot of the white lights

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the tank size and how many you have,I would just sell them and get a budget t5 fixture and save yourself the hassel or something different.

Mint's are nice,but with those diodes,the spectrum of those more than likely isn't right and will probably fall off within a short time.

This is why I always tell people to use quality diodes. They are worth the money. But cyan will help with color rendition,and uv/violet will help with color,health,growth but within a moderate amount and proper spectrum.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back