LED DIODES FOR REEF BRITE

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I AHVE A 48" REEF BRITE ACTINIC BLUE XHO. SOME LED'S WENT OUT AND LOOKING TO REPLACE THEM MYSLEF INSTEAD OF BUYING A NEW LIGHT. DOES NAYONE KNWO WHAT KIND OF DIODES THESE ARE AND WHERE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND THEM.

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the company owner won't tell you the exact bandwidths of the leds in any of the reefbrite bars. I personally have no input there because there's been numerous companies attempt to copy them and all have failed to render the same coloration.

They're 3watt leds obviously so if you're not that worried about keeping the exact same leds, you could order any combination of leds and create your own in reality which is exactlywhat I'd do.

Otherwise I don't think anyone actually knows what brand or precise bandwidths.

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even the company owner won't tell you the exact bandwidths of the leds in any of the reefbrite bars. I personally have no input there because there's been numerous companies attempt to copy them and all have failed to render the same coloration.

They're 3watt leds obviously so if you're not that worried about keeping the exact same leds, you could order any combination of leds and create your own in reality which is exactlywhat I'd do.

Otherwise I don't think anyone actually knows what brand or precise bandwidths.
Yea I knew I wouldn't get anything from reef brite but was hoping with all the diy stuff someone might have came close. Do you happen to know if it has the pucks or the leds with the two wires coming out?

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't disassembled one to be honest. I'm sure there's someone else who has but I haven't personally. I'm guessing they're the types with pcb board attached because the 2 prong are made to adhere to pcb for wiring.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I knew I wouldn't get anything from reef brite but was hoping with all the diy stuff someone might have came close. Do you happen to know if it has the pucks or the leds with the two wires coming out?
I was going to build me a LED light and I bought some LEDs three years ago and I was looking at the drivers on aliexpress. With the trade wars with China I don't know if you can still get the little leds and drivers from there before the trade wars I used to buy a lot of things from that site and 90% of the time no issues with delivery or quality.

Screenshot_20201215-142424.png Screenshot_20201215-142404.png

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually looking into building my own light bars with 5w dual band diodes and wiring them into something like a bluefish controller or something comparable so I can make blue/royal blue, uv/violet, etc and control them independently with ramping

OP
OP
ajhudson15

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm not sure if the reef brites gave those cree star pads or if they have the leds with the two wire legs on then

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older ReefBrite. Blue LEDs peak at ~450 and ~470nm. Might be different in newer models.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just meant if you know if they are the led star shaped puck or the little leds with the two wires coming out the bottom
I'd have to disassemble the light to find out for sure, but the strip is narrow and LEDs are spaced well apart. So I think I can state they're simple diodes with positive/negative leads (not 'pucks'.)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back