LED FELL INTO TANK!

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a friend to let it sit for 24 hrs in rice. I'm gonna try to turn it now and see. Fingers crossed!!
;Facepalm
12BA036A-E48D-4DA6-9D8C-AC90EF7E7732.jpeg

CC2F2C41-AF7F-4CC7-A3A3-AE4607CF0A72.jpeg

I agree with a few posts here that you may experience short life. The pic above is a 1947 Crosley Radio I’m fixing. You need to use Isopropyl Aclohol and a Q Tip or something like De Oxit. Things can short out fairly fast.

Glad it’s working but I would pull it a part. Be careful and let it dry out thoroughly. Not hard to do. Just be very mindful of the board. Compressed air wouldn’t hurt. But it you may not have to do anything the issue is that light has seen more exposure to salt and minerals in a dunk then it would of under your sink. I’d clean it.

They are definitely splash proof or resistant. Their designed that way but the boards aren’t. If it went into your tank. Grab the tools clean the boards and wires let dry and run it.

That particular light does not have any conformal coating. I would argue to say that it is not designed to be wet.

Perhaps that's their way of engineering obsolescence into it?

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That particular light does not have any conformal coating. I would argue to say that it is not designed to be wet.

Wouldn’t be surprised? I’m unfamiliar with the light. I would assume they checked some boxes. In regards to heat and humidity. A dunk probably not. His main issue is going to be. Potentially short lifespan and an expensive light. I’m pretty sure he can fix it though. Two things LEDs hate. That’s heat and Water. Their low voltage stuff. That’s why I want him to try to clean it. Plus they short out easily if it works now he might be okay if he cleans it.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are not many comments about ai prime longevity.
Perhaps they haven't been out that long.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,agree borrowed time,if they are willing to replace..do it!! ,mean time while waiting any light will do for a week :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t be surprised? I’m unfamiliar with the light. I would assume they checked some boxes. In regards to heat and humidity. A dunk probably not. His main issue is going to be. Potentially short lifespan and an expensive light. I’m pretty sure he can fix it though. Two things LEDs hate. That’s heat and Water. Their low voltage stuff. That’s why I want him to try to clean it. Plus they short out easily if it works now he might be okay if he cleans it.
3 things at least, heat and water and salt.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG SWEET 9LB. BABY JESUS IT WORKS! I didn't have high hopes for thing but I really went in last night with q-tips and cloths drying every single chip, it might have actually helped. Wow I'm shocked. Well I'll let you guys know if it lasts the night I think I might be ok here. If not then I'll send it in. I'll let u guys know whats up!

The beginning of this gave me a good laugh. To be fair, it is 8LB. 6OZ. Baby Jesus. Lol.

I am glad that the light seems to be working for you, hopefully the internal damage was minimal and it will keep working for you long term. I have an AI Sol Blue that I am using over my Biocube that I will eventually upgrade to something newer. I had considered different mounting options like the RMS arm or flex options but decided to go with a DIY mount that I anchored to the wall behind the tank. I didn't know if the other arms would cause issues, but I just felt like the DIY option was more secure, so that was the route I went.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beginning of this gave me a good laugh. To be fair, it is 8LB. 6OZ. Baby Jesus. Lol.

I am glad that the light seems to be working for you, hopefully the internal damage was minimal and it will keep working for you long term. I have an AI Sol Blue that I am using over my Biocube that I will eventually upgrade to something newer. I had considered different mounting options like the RMS arm or flex options but decided to go with a DIY mount that I anchored to the wall behind the tank. I didn't know if the other arms would cause issues, but I just felt like the DIY option was more secure, so that was the route I went.
I like the cable ceiling/hanging mounts for ease of tank access.

Ksull72487

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had to post something. It’s been done so many times I even thought about doing it. But that’s mineral oil. If he cleans it the way I told him he probably prevents things shorting out.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had to post something. It’s been done so many times I even thought about doing it. But that’s mineral oil. If he cleans it the way I told him he probably prevents things shorting out.

Don't show my boys, they'd be all over that!
Anything special, except for sealing it in?

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the cable ceiling/hanging mounts for ease of tank access.

That's also a solid option. I had considered it on my tank but was able to get the materials to hang it from the wall at my local hardware store as opposed to ordering it online, so I was able to get it hung that day instead of waiting a few days. My biggest deciding factor was that I knew the tank wouldn't stay in that location forever, so I figured the wall mount was easier to put up and take down as compared to the ceiling mount.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too late at this point, but it probably would have been worth while to rinse everything with RODI prior to drying and turning it on again.

FWIW - One of my LFS has a rental program for situations like this. They don't have high end stuff (well used T5 lights, AC pumps, glass heaters, etc...), but good enough to get by until you get stuff repaired/replaced.

Best of luck!

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A rinse in distilled water or a soak should get rid of any salt wd-40 will drive out water after that wipe it down that should take care of it as long as it didn't fry.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Take light appart clean very well with isopropyl alcohol, and a stiff nylon brush and compressed air. I've had computers get wet from water cooling leaks work for a few more years afterward if dryed out before being powered on.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the light that critical, or could the tank do without for 3 or 4 days?
Don't some reefers do blackouts for days for some pests.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the light that critical, or could the tank do without for 3 or 4 days?
Don't some reefers do blackouts for days for some pests.
For a few days, not a problem. But in this case, I would bet we're talking more like a couple of weeks to turn around.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work with electronics. If you got it out fast enough and unplugged it fast enough it will most likely be fine. Any electronic can be submerged in water if no power is going through it.

Wait longer than 24 hours. You should take it apart and let it air dry for a few days at least. If the circuit board got salt on it then wash it in the bathtub to get the salt off and let it dry. For a few days at least

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few days, not a problem. But in this case, I would bet we're talking more like a couple of weeks to turn around.
I assumed we'd be buying a replacement/spare. But if repair turn around, yes weeks minimum.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, by the time I send it even if it was tomrw they hafta receive it, fix it (they said 2-3 business days) and mail it back. I'm gonna say minimum a week and half to prob 2 weeks. I think I will end up sending it in bc it's still under warranty and the way the arm/mount just slide off I think it will be covered. They told me to send the light and the mount together so we will see I guess. I have a pretty good LFS that might be able to lend me one for 2 weeks or so I hope. I'll find out tomew bc they were closed today. In the mean time I will start looking for a backup just to have in the future as long as I don't have to sell my left arm for it lol

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a 150 watt halide fixture fall in a 40 gallon. We came home and it was completely submerged and still burning. Took it out and dried it off. Still use it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back