LED to T-5 Hybrid Switch

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a lot of research I’m thinking of going with a T-5/LED hybrid on my 120 gallon mixed reef. Specifically the Aquatic life T-5 hybrid 4 bulb fixture.

My tank is 48x24x24. I’ve been using a single current USA Orbit Marine 48” LED at 100%. I think it’s 46 watts. Mostly SPS frags except for a decent sized frogspawn and green star polyps. I’m getting some growth on almost everything. Shadowing is a bit of an issue though and I feel like the lower corals could benefit from more light.

First, I’m worried that adding more light is just going to cause algea issues. Do you think more light is needed? Unfortunately I don’t have PAR readings.

Second, how should I transition the light? I don’t want to just throw on 4 T-5 bulbs and end up nuking everything in my tank.

DA117F94-8D48-47AE-B987-19F687FE3999.jpeg

E558138F-5EF4-4BAD-9207-EA42C6489D23.jpeg

EB10C03F-671C-47A2-8936-00DDFDC7818A.jpeg

61ED5174-2BA1-4234-AF68-9C6FCF731110.jpeg

3B990E1B-DAE6-40E3-B010-9C0DFC70BECC.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just start the time the tubes slowly.
Add them only to the peak.

So the obit come on and 4 he’s later the first tubes , two hours after that the next pair. Something like that.

I ran the same set up for a year or so.

Yea you could see some alge growth.butbthise acros will explode.
Just get the toothbrush ready and maybe think about more snails really.

What model of current do you have ? With lenses?
Where is it mounted? How high.
What’s the total photo period or the amount of time they are on?

OP
OP
Jack22

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what model it is. I got it used. It has the ramp timer not the Loop. Not sure about the lenses.

I used the built in tank stands so it is only about 2-4 in above the water.

Blues are on for 12 hours total. Whites are on for 10 hours. With a 30 min sunrise/sunset.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you can't vary intensity, vary duration. Start the T5's low, raise slow over the next few weeks / months.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what model it is. I got it used. It has the ramp timer not the Loop. Not sure about the lenses.

I used the built in tank stands so it is only about 2-4 in above the water.

Blues are on for 12 hours total. Whites are on for 10 hours. With a 30 min sunrise/sunset.
When you look at the leds themselves , you’ll see either squares (no lenses ) or circles with squares in them. That’s the oldest model. It’s the one I had with my t5.

OP
OP
Jack22

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look at the leds themselves , you’ll see either squares (no lenses ) or circles with squares in them. That’s the oldest model. It’s the one I had with my t5.

Just squares so no lenses I guess. How high did you turn up the leds with the t5? I’m thinking of maxing out at 50% with more white on the led since I’m going to use ATI blue plus t5s.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just squares so no lenses I guess. How high did you turn up the leds with the t5? I’m thinking of maxing out at 50% with more white on the led since I’m going to use ATI blue plus t5s.
It’s the old style led. The t5 are going to overpower them once they come on. Same ones I had. I ran them at full100%. On a 20 in deep tank.
Very very very low power for a tank more than 18 in deep. So it won’t matter what %.
Id wait till you have the t5 then adjust the color.
It’s most likely you’ll never notice the color except when the t5 are off.

OP
OP
Jack22

Jack22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. My understanding is that the leds are there mostly to add the shimmer that you don’t get from t5 and adjust the color to make it look better. Eventually I want to use two Kissel A360s with t5s, but for now I need to keep the cost low and use what I have.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. My understanding is that the leds are there mostly to add the shimmer that you don’t get from t5 and adjust the color to make it look better. Eventually I want to use two Kissel A360s with t5s, but for now I need to keep the cost low and use what I have.
Understood.
No they actually sell those to grow coral. It’s not well explained on the web site, but for different levels of intensity your supposed to add strips. But it didn’t go over well. Lol. That’s why folks don’t like em now. Bad rep.
They redesigned the lights a couple times and now they actually are bright enough to grow some corals all by them selves.
The way I used em , the leds came on so I could see the tank in the morning with that nice bike for an hour or so. The whites came on for an hour then the t5 for about 6-8 to actually grow the Coral. Lol. Then it ramped back down. Led 1 , led 2, t5 1 , t5 2 , then back down.
Made my acros n sps explode really.

T5 and led strip were in my canopy 8in or so above the water. That’s about 700 800+ par at the water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back