Ledger's 13.5 evo

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set this tank up 6 days ago, woke up this morning to some nasty brown algae stuff on the substrate, not sure if all the areas it is accumulating are dead spots. Just bought a Aqamai KPS to increase water flow, any tips on placement?
unnamed.jpg
unnamed4.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This cycling process is turning out completely different than what I had read/expected, a week in and never got a spike in ammonia or detectable levels of nitrates/nitrates, maybe the large live rock/ sand was enough to balance that portion of it, just guessing at this point.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah starting with already live rock will help. The diatoms will come and go with the cycle. Have you added any source of ammonia? Funny I started my first tank with one piece of live rock with a Kenya tree as well!

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't put any in, some things I read suggested it wasn't always necessary with good live rock (Like straight out of another tank live rock) etc, I was just going to let it run its course and not worry about putting any inhabitants, but besides the Kenya tree the live rock apparently had snails, brittle stars and bristle worms all stowed away in it so now I'm trying to avoid harming them. Not sure if I should just throw in a piece of raw shrimp now, assume the bristle worm would enjoy that.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't worry about that at this point. Just water tests. What's your plan for stocking?

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably wouldn't worry about that at this point. Just water tests. What's your plan for stocking?
Not entirely sure at this point, still trying to figure out how many/what fish I can fit in here (Imagine 2 or 3 small ones) and what invertebrates, bunch of hermit crabs in there already, do you think the will take care of this aiptasia that emerged today?

IMG_2165.jpg

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there are more than just that small one unfortunately. A peppermint shrimp will usually eat them. Hermits won't. Easy to remove rock? If so I would pull it out and manually remove by chipping off the small piece of rock it's on and scrub/rinse that spot well.

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure there are more than just that small one unfortunately. A peppermint shrimp will usually eat them. Hermits won't. Easy to remove rock? If so I would pull it out and manually remove by chipping off the small piece of rock it's on and scrub/rinse that spot well.
Yeah unfortunately the one piece of large live rock in the tank, I could take it out, but not sure if that would bother the Kenya tree that's also attached to this rock.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenyas are pretty hardy. You can also cover it in superglue or tomb him in epoxy. Make sure to cover completely

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenyas are pretty hardy. You can also cover it in superglue or tomb him in epoxy. Make sure to cover completely
Ill try the super glue, fortunately I'm due for my first water change today so will be messing around in the tank anyhow, thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my best to superglue close the holes in that area, frame of reference went out the window when I took the rock out of the water so not sure exactly which one he was hiding in, haven't seen him pop back out yet though. Stomatella seems to be enjoying the water change
IMG-2173.JPG

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found two more this morning, went to LFS and got a peppermint, and some aiptasia X. Couldn't resist getting a little Candy cane frag as well.

IMG-2179.JPG

IMG-2181.JPG

OP
OP
ledger

ledger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a video for a 3 month update, looking a lot more alive than the previous pictures =)

Back