Leonardo's Apogon Reef

landlord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cardinals appear to be flaoting through space. What a great photo series of a great looking reef. Very well done!

Kurt

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

I have 50-50 succes with Mariculture colonies. Some of them just wither awar and/or brown out, some of them become beautiful. Strangely, I have more succes keeping Wildcaps them Maricultures. I also have a lot of colonies that were fragged from other aquarists, to make sure they do well in closed systems.

I'll keep you updated! :)

Leonardo

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since we had an update about Apogon Reef. And that’s for a reason. After the summer holidays the reef suffered a major outbreak of Green hair algae (GHA), that was very hard to get rid of.
We found the solution for the problem, but it didn’t disappear overnight. Steps I followed:

The rocks was taken out, soaked in Muriatic Acid two times, and then soaked in a solution of baking soda, to neutralize the rock. This effectively removed all the debris and green hair algae that was in and on the rock, but I also killed all the live on and in it.
That’s why the rock was revived in a large bin of used aquarium water with some live rock, to seed the rock and bring life back into it.
During this several week process I cleaned all the glass, bottom and coral bases of GHA, and did several 50% water changes.

After two weeks, the rock was seeded enough and the tank clean and ready. I rearranged to rocks and glued all the corals back using super glue gel.
The GHA did come back a little, but 30% waterchanges every week, the use of 2 ml Vodka daily and the use of NP Biopellets XL got rid of it once and for all.

Some weeks ago I also added some more Apogon to the reef, it is “Apogon Reef” after all, and I can’t call it this way with only 5 cardinals in it. The amount of Apogon will be expanded gradually, untill I reach the number of 30-40.

Please leave a comment or feedback, it is well appreciated!

16.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

11.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad to hear you got rid of the hair algae and thanks for posting what you did to get rid of it. I'm sure it'll be helpful in the future. what other cardinals do you plan on adding?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leonardo, the tanks looking awesome. How's your experience been with the threadfins? I ordered 9 last week and was down to three in two days, little suckers just dropped like flies. Any advice for me with them? Thanks man, keep posting pics for us.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my favorite tanks!

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brett, they are very hard shippers indeed. I lose 30% most of the time. I'll advice you to buy them local and let the LFS acclimate them first in a low lit, low flow tank. Feed them heavy many times a day using live Artemia, frozen mysis and artemia. They have the best chance of survival that way.

Leonardo

Tinola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love your tank! A good inspiration for me.
Question about your use of biopellets though. Are you using a reactor for the XL sized biopellets? I was thinking of using them for my 10 gallon AIO since vinegar lowers my pH too much.

Thanks

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great update Leo, glad you eradicated the always lovely GHA.

How long have you had the Convict tang for now? I remember him in Formosa Forest :)

DJE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank Leo. Glad you solved your GHA problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Leonardo_

Leonardo_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm using the XL Pellets, the smaller pettets gave me Cyano problems before. You can also try Vodka if you have issues with pH.

I think I have that convict for almost 6 years now. Still my favourite fish.

Regards, Leonardo

Pumbooris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank is AMAZING!:):beer:

Brett, they are very hard shippers indeed. I lose 30% most of the time. I'll advice you to buy them local and let the LFS acclimate them first in a low lit, low flow tank. Feed them heavy many times a day using live Artemia, frozen mysis and artemia. They have the best chance of survival that way.

Leonardo
and i agree with the low light/low flow when acclimating the apogon here is one of mine about an hour after getting introduced into my tank
yjyve6ep.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back