leopard wrasse difficulty?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im looking to put some unique wrasses in my 65 gallon tank. I really love the leopard wrasses, but ive heard they can be hard? Other than getting them to eat frozen food, is there anything difficult about them? is it really that hard to wean them onto frozen?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't really had a problem getting them onto frozen, but there are several species of leopard wrasses. They like to pick at pods constantly kind of like a mandarin. They are poor shippers so finding one local would be your best bet.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they very active swimmers or more shy? I have a 65 gal tall and I want to make sure i have plenty of swimming space for it.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard they were hard to keep too but one of the LFSs in this area carried them. The owner is very experienced and says he’s never had an issue with them. I would have gotten one, but wanted to research them first. When I went back to the store, they were all sold. It just wasn’t meant to be!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re tough to get established and they come with internal parasites almost always. Feed general cure and seachem focus soaked foods for 14 days it will help! :)

20/20Doc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing. My tank is 8 mos. old. I have a blue star leopard. She is the most active of my 15 fish. Always out front. At first she ate pods and worms. Within a week starting eating frozen. By far my favorite fish. I have had her for 2 1/2 months.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one recently. It has been no problem at all. It eats frozen and pellets avidly. It is active and peaceful. If I did not know it, I would call it an “easy” fish. The LFS recommended it because it was eating so well.

Often fish eat less well in quarantine. It is another shock to them. You get them eating in quarantine. But the display tank is rough and tumble and they hide and don’t eat. This fish sailed through everything.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no grand conspiracy here ..... leopard wrasses are absolutely difficult fish to keep. They ship and acclimate poorly and often come with internal parasites. Once past the initial acclimation, it’s not difficult to get them eating, but absent treatment many will still gradually waste away. Pat yourself on the back after you’ve had one for a year. This is actually one genus that is well bought from LFS since they bear the acclimation losses. Just make sure that the fish does not have pinching behind the head - 99% of the time they’ll not survive. Some species are easier (meleagris, bipartitus, ornate), others trickier (negrosensis, moyers) and still others even trickier (Potteri and Choati). Drawing any kind of useful conclusion from a sample size of one is ..... well self evident I’d think.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no grand conspiracy here ..... leopard wrasses are absolutely difficult fish to keep. They ship and acclimate poorly and often come with internal parasites. Once past the initial acclimation, it’s not difficult to get them eating, but absent treatment many will still gradually waste away. Pat yourself on the back after you’ve had one for a year. This is actually one genus that is well bought from LFS since they bear the acclimation losses. Just make sure that the fish does not have pinching behind the head - 99% of the time they’ll not survive. Some species are easier (meleagris, bipartitus, ornate), others trickier (negrosensis, moyers) and still others even trickier (Potteri and Choati). Drawing any kind of useful conclusion from a sample size of one is ..... well self evident I’d think.
thanks !

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a moyeri to my tank yesterday. He was healthy and eating at LFS, so I took a chance. Some jostling in the pecking order with other wrasses, but he held his own. Ate within one hour of being introduced. I have never had any leopard wrasse before; usually just fairies and flashers, but this species is a gem.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a potters and a black leopard. Both are awesome. Easy acclimation, they eat mysis, roe, pe pellets, anything really. My LFS qt’s their incoming fish off site so I never have issues with parasites or anything. Maybe I’m just lucky with good eaters. Black leopard I’ve had almost 2 years. Potters about 4 months. The black leopard is more reclusive than the potters 100%

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Black has eluded me. I have tried a few times and they always just waste away ..... despite treating for worms. I have nine other leopards, across five different species, but no black.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, We have a black at the lutz tank. 1 for 1 there. I only tried one black at home too and it was successful too. Potters was much more difficult. Took about 6 tries before I got one into my display.

TimAnderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and has had no issue feeding she is beautiful seems to eat good hides more than i would like but i wouldn't be worried about getting one

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simon, We have a black at the lutz tank. 1 for 1 there. I only tried one black at home too and it was successful too. Potters was much more difficult. Took about 6 tries before I got one into my display.
Wow :( I didn’t know they were difficult.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just bad luck on my part. All of mine came in the mail, if i see one at LFS I’ll give it another try.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did you get them? Locally?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back