Leopard wrasse easy or hard?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting a leopard wrasse. I was wondering what the difficulty of keeping them was. I don't have a quarantine tank so I was planning on getting it from drreef or another place if anyone has recommendations. I have a 50 gallon long tank that has been set up for 6+months. I only have clownfish and a cleaner shrimp in the tank with a sandbed.

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering getting a leopard wrasse. I was wondering what the difficulty of keeping them was. I don't have a quarantine tank so I was planning on getting it from drreef or another place if anyone has recommendations. I have a 50 gallon long tank that has been set up for 6+months. I only have clownfish and a cleaner shrimp in the tank with a sandbed.
I got mine from Dr. Reef about 8 months ago. He is doing great. He’s in a 100g tank and gets along with all the other fish

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is getting a healthy one. Once established they are easy but they suffer badly from shipping stress and jaw injuries. I prefer getting these fish from a store because you can see them eat before purchase.

They will also benefit from a good pod population.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find them hard to keep. I have 2 and had no issues, mine eats everything I feed and are very active throughout the day. I think I read somewhere here that they're not great during transport so get them locally if you can. I got mine at my LFS.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got mine from Dr. Reef about 8 months ago. He is doing great. He’s in a 100g tank and gets along with all the other fish
Getting them from a reputable place that quarantines is a great way to go, as they are already eating.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Update drreef is located in my town so no shipping required
That's how I feel having TSM 15 mins away from me!
(Other excellent place that QTs fish)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey are easy if they eat and are healthy. Shipping done proper and the fish was held proper then not much to worry about. I

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of leopard.

For example, Choat's (Macropharyngodon choati) and Blue Stars (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) can be finicky, delicate (shy), and a little trickier.

On the other hand, Meleagris (Macropharyngodon meleagris) are, IMO pretty easy ... especially if you are ordering one that was already quarantined.

It's their need for a sand bed and sensitivity during QT that makes leopards 'difficult' ... along with shipping difficulty (e.g. no sandbed).

If you get one that is already healthy and QT'd ... it will have already recovered from most of its ocean-to-retailer shipping trauma and its QT trauma ... and only have to deal with your shipping and acclimation. That means a much better chance for survival.

So, best bets are either...
  • a LFT that does QT where you can see it healthy, eating and active
  • as you mentioned, DrReef, OceanDevotion, Marine Collectors, the FisHotel, or another online source for QT'd fish
Also understand that it's normal for them to dive into the sand bed the moment you add them ... and stay there for up to 2-3 weeks. Don't go digging for it; you may injure it. Just be patient.

*** I just saw your update that DrReef is local to you. Sounds like the perfect source for a leopard for you.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If entirely depends on the species.
Some are more difficult whilst others aren’t much harder than an Iridis

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the type of leopard.

For example, Choat's (Macropharyngodon choati) and Blue Stars (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) can be finicky, delicate (shy), and a little trickier.

On the other hand, Meleagris (Macropharyngodon meleagris) are, IMO pretty easy ... especially if you are ordering one that was already quarantined.
I disagree with this.
Macropharyngodon bipartitus is no more difficult than Macropharyngodon meleagris.

Macropharyngodon choati is one of if not the hardest to keep from this genus as it’s not a species that’s been in captivity long enough for us to study and know what they need to thrive in every tank. Another species I would personally say is very close to this is Macropharyngodon viviennae.

The other thing is that half the time all these issues we hear, is hobbyists won’t face them. It’s people who work in the LFS that will face these issues and truly suffer from it. Anyone working in a good LFS will rather want the fish to be healthy and thriving before it sells instead of selling the fish before it’s healthy just for the sake of money.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get them acclimated, they are not difficult, they eat everything once acclimated. All of the Leopard are consider delicate becasue they need live food (most of the time) during transition from newly captive to tank resident. If you have a healthy, eating the food you can provide for them, they will be fine. This goes for all the fish, not just leopard.

My Black Leopards harem.
Beat up baby by her tank mate at the LFS
BlackLeopardWrasse2023051401.jpg

healing
BlackLeopardWrasse2023052101.jpg

female

BlackLeopardWrasse2019052601.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072803Female.jpg

BlackLeopardWrasse2019072802Female.jpg

Male
BlackLeopardWrasse2020030803.jpg

nuptial male

BlackLeopardWrasse2020032202.jpg
BlackLeopardWrasse2020040401Male.jpg

Baby Meleagris Leopard
MeleagrisLeopard2020122502Baby1.jpg

a little larger
MeleagrisLeopard2022011401Baby.jpg

Juvi-females
MeleagrisLeopard2020041602S.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2020040501B.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2019062403.jpg

Transitional male
MeleagrisLeopard2019102201.jpg

Male
MeleagrisLeopard2020122601Male.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2020122301Male.jpg

nuptial male
MeleagrisLeopard2020122606MatingDance.jpg

MeleagrisLeopard2020122702Male.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back