Leopard wrasse

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers! Yesterday I went to the lfs and picked up a leopard wrasse on a super special at a price I couldn’t resist. It was only $16 and eating mysis so I figured why not. I acclimated and put it into the tank last night. It sat above the sand bed before burying itself. About how long should I wait on the guy to come out? I’m aware that it’s a new fish and will probably hide for a few days but how long did you guys have to wait? I also threw a lawnmower blenny in there last night (who also eats mysis) and he’s already out and about. Any input appreciated :)

Millimylilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg u didn’t QT? What’s wrong with you??? Haha just kidding... I do the same. What a great score though for 16 bucks! It should come out when it’s hungry and as long as nothing is scaring it or showing aggression, should be fine!

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is qt? ;Hilarious Lol my lfs has me covered. They qt their fish and treat with copper, as well as treat for parasites before they even go up for sale.
Omg u didn’t QT? What’s wrong with you??? Haha just kidding... I do the same. What a great score though for 16 bucks! It should come out when it’s hungry and as long as nothing is scaring it or showing aggression, should be fine!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers! Yesterday I went to the lfs and picked up a leopard wrasse on a super special at a price I couldn’t resist. It was only $16 and eating mysis so I figured why not. I acclimated and put it into the tank last night. It sat above the sand bed before burying itself. About how long should I wait on the guy to come out? I’m aware that it’s a new fish and will probably hide for a few days but how long did you guys have to wait? I also threw a lawnmower blenny in there last night (who also eats mysis) and he’s already out and about. Any input appreciated :)

They can hide for up to several weeks or it could just be a day or two. Just keep an eye out for it and as long as it's healthy it will pop up again and after that it should form a pretty regular schedule (my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse did).

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can hide for up to several weeks or it could just be a day or two. Just keep an eye out for it and as long as it's healthy it will pop up again and after that it should form a pretty regular schedule (my Blue Star Leopard Wrasse did).
It was pretty healthy and active at the lfs. It was pretty chunky as well :)

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually a leopard wrasse will emerge after a day or two. Could be longer though. What species is it?
Not gonna lie, I’m not sure. It could be a divided. It had some hints of blue. It was mostly orange with the black lines. It looked just like this one :)

C03B9B32-7B07-4552-A64E-C43FC5AC5662.jpeg

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat here. I introduced my blue star leopard wrasse (female) to the display tank on Friday, January 17th. She went into hiding immediately.

Day 5 - I was certain she was trapped dead under sand and rock. Made no appearance.
Day 6 - early in the morning, to my surprise she was pacing the tank! Biggest relief.
Day 7 - went back into hiding.
Fast Forward
Today - No sign of her. Almost certain she is trapped dead under sand and rock.

She must be starving! ;Rage

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat here. I introduced my blue star leopard wrasse (female) to the display tank on Friday, January 17th. She went into hiding immediately.

Day 5 - I was certain she was trapped dead under sand and rock. Made no appearance.
Day 6 - early in the morning, to my surprise she was pacing the tank! Biggest relief.
Day 7 - went back into hiding.
Fast Forward
Today - No sign of her. Almost certain she is trapped dead under sand and rock.

She must be starving! ;Rage
She probably came out and had a feast so she could hide longer ;Hilarious

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back