Leptoseris ok on main rockwork?

ErikEdmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. About a month ago, I received an ultra leptoseris frag as a free gift from Tidal Gardens. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I glued it on my main rockwork and sort of forgot about it. Today, I just realized how fast the thing is growing, and I'm a little concerned about its placement. I know leptos can send out sweeper tentacles. How aggressive are they? Should I worry about it overtaking my zoas or micromussa? I'm considering isolating it on its own rock, but I'm running out of real estate.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free gift
, lol!
Tidal Gardens really pulled a fast one on you with a free coral. The lfs that I worked at was popular and would sponsor kid’s school fairs giving out free goldfish as prizes. The kids went home with a free fish in a bag and later the parents would come into the fish store to get food, a fish bowl or fish tank and light and filter to provide a nice healthy environment for the fish to enjoy. The fairs were great for business and they were the starting point for many people who grew into fish-hobby enthusiasts who spent lots of money at the lfs. :)

You should definitely get a larger tank so you can get more corals like this hobby demands. I hope this reply helps you upgrade your system to enable you to enjoy more corals in the future.
Joe Biden Yes GIF by The Democrats

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free gift
, lol!
Tidal Gardens really pulled a fast one on you with a free coral. The lfs that I worked at was popular and would sponsor kid’s school fairs giving out free goldfish as prizes. The kids went home with a free fish in a bag and later the parents would come into the fish store to get food, a fish bowl or fish tank and light and filter to provide a nice healthy environment for the fish to enjoy. The fairs were great for business and they were the starting point for many people who grew into fish-hobby enthusiasts who spent lots of money at the lfs. :)

You should definitely get a larger tank so you can get more corals like this hobby demands. I hope this reply helps you upgrade your system to enable you to enjoy more corals in the future.
Too funny, that’s exactly how I got started.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. About a month ago, I received an ultra leptoseris frag as a free gift from Tidal Gardens. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I glued it on my main rockwork and sort of forgot about it. Today, I just realized how fast the thing is growing, and I'm a little concerned about its placement. I know leptos can send out sweeper tentacles. How aggressive are they? Should I worry about it overtaking my zoas or micromussa? I'm considering isolating it on its own rock, but I'm running out of real estate.
Leptoseris are very similar to Pavona (some consider them the same group). Typical for Leptoseris are relatively short tentacles that pack a fairly strong punch. I've had both L & P in a small system for years on my live rock and they do require some aggressive management in certain circumstances. I would be careful having them too close to the corals you mentioned (Acans, Blastos and Scollys really don't like getting stung).

OP
OP
ErikEdmund

ErikEdmund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free gift
, lol!

I assumed it was something they wanted to get rid of. If you look at their recent sale, it's all fast-growing sps.

To be honest, I actually like it quite a bit. I'm just concerned with how fast it's spreading already.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meanest and fittest will dominate without intervention. Our tanks are typically of a size that a single colony would fill in the wild, given time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back