Let’s Debate!

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Mods please delete if not allowed**

Hey everyone, I just got reading the newest update on the Indo coral ban and it angered me about what Susi Pudjiastuti is trying to do.
And I have one huge question. How is someone so unqualified allowed to be in charge of something so important to that country’s economy?

Ps. I created a 2nd thread b/c I think it is wrong to debate on someone else’s thread.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Mods please delete if not allowed**

Hey everyone, I just got reading the newest update on the Indo coral ban and it angered me about what Susi Pudjiastuti is trying to do.
And I have one huge question. How is someone so unqualified allowed to be in charge of something so important to that country’s economy?

Ps. I created a 2nd thread b/c I think it is wrong to debate on someone else’s thread.

we’re not ones to brag about leadership right now. :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is sad is one person can stop an entire hobby and we do nothing.
Basically the same thing that happened in Hawaii..
These people need to realise most of the hobby is on there side and we want to protect the reefs.
The hobby promotes understanding the reefs and gives people a reason to protect it.
I would bet most of us think if a coral or fish that needs to be protected should.
Random bans on things like yellow tangs who's populations has risen makes no sense.
Banning maricultured corals make no sense.
Just like public aquariums we raise awareness on what corals are. I had friends that had no idea a coral was a living thing.
We add economic value to the reef giving locals a reason to protect it and and dynamiting it for fish.
Banning corals and fish leads to poaching or rare species. Dr Mac just said that the people in Indonesia are aware of smuggling of corals right now and that is not good..
That stuff makes our hobby look bad.

Still sad one person can effect a hobby when there are so many vendors that will loose out on sales when the hobby slows because of rising prices. There are thousands of us in the hobby, hundreds of manufacturers, wholesalers, collectors etc that stand to loose out.
Next will be fish from Indonesia.
Now there are talks of bans in Australia which has made up for a portion of corals from the Ban in Indonesia.

I think the real issue though is this is a ban on maricultred corals and why.
Same in Fiji. Walt was putting corals back and replanting the reefs with some of his Corals.

What people do not get is if the ban is also on maricultured corals who will invest in new maricultured coral locations or even breeding fish. These island countries are the best places to breed fish because of their climate, costs and proximity to the sea.
Who would invest in a place like Biota if they can be shut down on a whim like this because of these unstable government. Building breeding facilities in the States can be tough because of property costs where these places need to be to keep costs down. Not only that who will invest in a shrinking hobby.

These unstable islands are also where they breed clams.

Again some corals are easy to propagate but not saltwater fish. Prices will go through the roof on fish but coral prices will also rise.
We can propagate a good chunk of coral but allot will rise in price if not all. Without fish how many will want a reef. I mean other than clowns and a handful of gobies most as of now can not be raised in mass quantities.
We have made good strides in breeding more species but very few in any quantity that the hobby requires. People need to realise we collect almost 500,00 yellow tang is Hawaii. Even though we have not seen a huge price spike yet we will as permits expire and the fish collecting ends in Hawaii. Yellow tang prices on DR Foster and Smith have over doubled. With the loss of the yellow tang it will put allot of pressure on the other tangs in the hobby causing them to rise. The yellow tang was the most purchased yellow tang by far.

People need to watch the video below.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back