Let’s discuss Jebao

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…it’s been a few minutes since the great Jebao debate has raged on here based on google and I’m trying to talk myself into (out of?) using a Jebao pump for my return.

I really want an Internal pump. With 10-15’ of head height, this limits my options. So…I picked up the Jebao MDP-20000 the other day. I have a very healthy budget but $2200 for a Abyzz return isn’t happening- especially since I always buy 2 of everything. Build quality looks on par or slightly above the Vectra. It’s dead silent and while I can’t test it in real life applications yet, it threw water out of a bucket like it’s life depended on it. It also runs at 180w max vs 300w for its AC reeflo counterpart.

I am not blind to the issues with Jebao…or COR pumps, or Vectra’s, or Reeflo’s (The hammerhead gold hybrid I’d need is 2x the cost and nearly 2x the watts) However, the bad to good review ratio (except for the COR) seem to be about the same across the board for all these pumps. For every “It’s been running for 5 years and I shout slightly offensive things at it daily” there’s a “24 hours in it knocked up my wife and stole my wallet.”

I think we’re past the “didn’t you read the article about the guy’s controller that exploded and killed his dog stuff.” Let’s discuss reliability beyond the “I just don’t trust them because I heard…” actual reliability in real life.

Keeping in mind 90% of reefing equipment is made, or has some components made, in China, is it time to look at the pro’s and con’s of these pumps without the bias against where they come from? I’m not saying it isn’t founded for sooo many items, I’m just wondering if the reviews and experience actually sync with the general sentiment.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So…it’s been a few minutes since the great Jebao debate has raged on here based on google and I’m trying to talk myself into (out of?) using a Jebao pump for my return.

I really want an Internal pump. With 10-15’ of head height, this limits my options. So…I picked up the Jebao MDP-20000 the other day. I have a very healthy budget but $2200 for a Abyzz return isn’t happening- especially since I always buy 2 of everything. Build quality looks on par or slightly above the Vectra. It’s dead silent and while I can’t test it in real life applications yet, it threw water out of a bucket like it’s life depended on it. It also runs at 180w max vs 300w for its AC reeflo counterpart.

I am not blind to the issues with Jebao…or COR pumps, or Vectra’s, or Reeflo’s (The hammerhead gold hybrid I’d need is 2x the cost and nearly 2x the watts) However, the bad to good review ratio (except for the COR) seem to be about the same across the board for all these pumps. For every “It’s been running for 5 years and I shout slightly offensive things at it daily” there’s a “24 hours in it knocked up my wife and stole my wallet.”

I think we’re past the “didn’t you read the article about the guy’s controller that exploded and killed his dog stuff.” Let’s discuss reliability beyond the “I just don’t trust them because I heard…” actual reliability in real life.

Keeping in mind 90% of reefing equipment is made, or has some components made, in China, is it time to look at the pro’s and con’s of these pumps without the bias against where they come from? I’m not saying it isn’t founded for sooo many items, I’m just wondering if the reviews and experience actually sync with the general sentiment.
I’ve never used the Jebao brand but my friend does. Most all of his flow and returns are in fact. He has quite a few. His tank has been running for just over 4 yrs and he has had to replace a return pump just recently and a power head, but I’d say that’s pretty decent time of use for the cost of the pieces. He loves them.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 2+ years

I run a return pump, dead silent and moves water just fine. I just replaced my ow40s for ow50s in my 125. No other reason than I wanted even more flow in addition to my icecap 4k gyres. Both ow40s have been running around 2 years with no problems. I clean every few weeks so that probably helps. Only problems I ever had with jebao was the rw series powerheads..several of those didn't last long about 5 years ago. Other than that..extremely satisfied and if I didn't have icecap gyres, I would get the scp gyres as well.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been running 3 of the 20000s as return pumps.. probably for a year or sl. ,, i have a shelf full my old iwaki and panworld pumps now lol. These jeboa are strong and quiet.

not as good with pressure as iwaki 100s . on my quad beckett mrc skimmer the iwaki is still the king the 20000 will run 2 becketts pretty good but not as consistant output under load as an iwaki.

i would never even consider the the abyzz at the prices i see for those.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been running 3 of the 20000s as return pumps.. probably for a year or sl. ,, i have a shelf full my old iwaki and panworld pumps now lol. These jeboa are strong and quiet.

not as good with pressure as iwaki 100s . on my quad beckett mrc skimmer the iwaki is still the king the 20000 will run 2 becketts pretty good but not as consistant output under load as an iwaki.

i would never even consider the the abyzz at the prices i see for those.
Hopefully I can pick your brain on the 20000’s. Any experience with head height? I’d like it push about 1100gph 12’ up to the display + run a refugium at around 250gph at 2’ up. Think I have a chance?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya and if its not strong enough just add a second jeboa.. either way still way cheaper than abyzz and redundant.
but i think you can help the pump if you pump it up with 2 inch pipe helps ,,it will always depend on your plumbing size and how many turns etc.

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a DCP-5000 return in my Reefer 350 for 5+ years now. ZERO issues and flow has remained constant. You’d now as well since the gate valve would have to be constantly adjusted.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya and if its not strong enough just add a second jeboa.. either way still way cheaper than abyzz and redundant.
but i think you can help the pump if you pump it up with 2 inch pipe helps ,,it will always depend on your plumbing size and how many turns etc.
Due to the run, the plan is 1, 1.5 return line. I’m planning (this hour) to plumb 2 pumps and use swing check valves and one pump will be an emergency only. So I need one pump to do the lifting. I’d rather use a COR-15 or something for the refugium (I own a few from old tank) if I can’t break off 150gph from the main return. A COR-15 should run a refugium + some reactors and UV down the road.

Sucks Jebao doesn’t post head heights. Best I could think to do was use the similar sized Royal Exclusiv flow chart which puts me at 2100gph at my head height. Assume I only get 60% of that and I’m fine (yes I know this is imperfect logic)

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the MDP-20000 Amazon lists the max head height(Max head: 31.1ft) but I haven't seen a chart showing flow rate vs head height. But I did see one for the DCP-20000 (is this essentially the same pump with different controller?) which at 12' is about 2200gph.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Jebao return pumps, 20000, 15000, and 10000 as well as OW-25’s and their CP120 Gyres.
5 years running silent with no problems.
Third the price. Great value IMM.

My 20000 pushes up 15’ to the living room from the basement at 50% power, and the 15000 same height but 65% power.

Jebao does post heights, 31ft head height on a 20000 is correct, but that’s max head. Divide max head height by 2 to give to lots of room for return. E3C67404-6969-4F00-B3C0-A28B66549ABC.jpeg

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a diehard Tunze guy so.
Just buy a few extra. I have many powerheads but the new ones are just backup. I have ran them for 4+ years now.

I run a 5000 on one of my hydro systems and have never had an issue.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao wavemaker that has been running fine for 8 months. Recently picked up 2 Jebao 2500 return pumps for SW mixing / RODI cycling in brutes, 1 of the pumps has run fine in RODI for over a month, the other has failed twice in SW in that time with an error code. Restarting the pump brings it online. Just to add my experience.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich, Ben, and Jim Graham (telegraham) talked about this on reef beef a few episodes back. Seems pretty similar to the consensus here, Jebao makes affordable and generally reliable pumps. I'll probably pick-up two return pumps to get water upstairs from my basement sump on my upcoming build, so it's nice to read through the feedback here.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just upgraded to the 8000 on our reefer 450 running it at 40% = 30 watts. And the good thing is if you have any problems just order a new one and throw the old one in a box and return it to amazon.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run an Eheim 1262 return pump, that was made in Germany, since 2009. It has never failed and the only service I've had to do was buy a new pump cover for $15.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the MDP-20000 Amazon lists the max head height(Max head: 31.1ft) but I haven't seen a chart showing flow rate vs head height. But I did see one for the DCP-20000 (is this essentially the same pump with different controller?) which at 12' is about 2200gph.

This is my estimation as well. It appears to be a slightly different design

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use a jebao wave maker ( slw 20 ) and it is dead silent and has been going for 2 years strong. I also really appreciate the wave like flow patterns that help create more natural flow. For the price I couldn’t recommend anything better.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back