Let’s discuss Jebao

quickreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose I could just include pictures of mine.

Inside the tank goes a small magnet. Jebao includes two rubberized covers for this magnet. One to allow you to angle the pump, the other to help the pump sit straight forward. At least they did for the SLW series. Maybe the newer series you have it’s different, but I’d be surprised if it were. The pump then sticks to this magnet.
IMG_7882.jpeg

Then of course the big magnet on the outside of the tank. Holds the internal magnet up.

IMG_7883.jpeg
There is only three pieces that came with it the power head the outside magnet and a rubber piece which is 100 percent not magnetic

Attachments

• IMG_2439.jpeg
    IMG_2439.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 39

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only three pieces that came with it the power head the outside magnet and a rubber piece which is 100 percent not magnetic
Seems like you are missing a magnet. Does the magnet in your possession have Jebao branding on it? The exterior magnets have branding, the interior magnet does not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing the interior magnet then.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have running jeboa pumps and powerheads that are > 5 years old.

I also have a jebao gyre-style power head that died after about 4 months.

I think it's just luck of the draw really; higher-end stuff can crap out too.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm running two MLW-30, one MCP-120, and an MDP-20000

They've all been fantastic. Amazed honestly at how silent the MCP is. Wifi can be tricky to get connected the first time, but once it's connected it's bulletproof.

I'm planning, at some point, of attempting to flash Esphome or Tasmota to one of the controllers to play around with.
Please do. I have a MDP on my 300g and wish I could integrate it into my Home Assistant. I am doing most of my automation as DIY. Started with Reef-Pi, but have moved almost totally away from it with the exception of sensor integration into HA. Made my own doser with with a Sonoff flashed with Tasmota.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a healthy mix of high end equipment and jebao. I will say that the higher priced stuff holds up better, but also some of the jebao stuff I have has been pretty much bulletproof. My return is a big ol jebao DC pump that's been running non stop for about 7 years and has (I'm embarrassed to say) only been out and maintainenced once. Things running like a champ.

That being said, I also have gone through about 6 of the jebao feed pumps that distribute water to the frag system and the reactor chambers. I think the biggest issue is that they are not built to last like the big name brands (but this seems to be hit or miss).

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do. I have a MDP on my 300g and wish I could integrate it into my Home Assistant. I am doing most of my automation as DIY. Started with Reef-Pi, but have moved almost totally away from it with the exception of sensor integration into HA. Made my own doser with with a Sonoff flashed with Tasmota.
Joi reef? Or did you program it yourself?

I built my doser but use his iot webui to contril it. Works phenomenally well and I have 6 high precision pumps for under $200. Looks good too, and spare parts to fix it!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a healthy mix of high end equipment and jebao. I will say that the higher priced stuff holds up better, but also some of the jebao stuff I have has been pretty much bulletproof. My return is a big ol jebao DC pump that's been running non stop for about 7 years and has (I'm embarrassed to say) only been out and maintainenced once. Things running like a champ.

That being said, I also have gone through about 6 of the jebao feed pumps that distribute water to the frag system and the reactor chambers. I think the biggest issue is that they are not built to last like the big name brands (but this seems to be hit or miss).
What happened to those pumps? I have had my sicce and one of my jebao pumps for my manifold freeze up so bad I had to use a vice and pliers to free the parts from the shaft. I haven't experienced an actual motor going out yet, but I assume that can happen.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I built my doser but use his iot webui to contril it. Works phenomenally well and I have 6 high precision pumps for under $200. Looks good too, and spare parts to fix it!
I used this discussion for the build and integration. The YAMK code did not work for me, so I had to tweak it to get it working. The problem with that is I'm not a coder, I can "read" it somewhat, but can't just code on my own, but I've started learning in my free time. So it took me few days to a week to get it working, especially since I had to translate the Name/Friendly Name. Most were fine and easy, but the one that took 90% of the time to fix was abbreviated so I couldn't just Google translate it. Following the code I was sure it was to set the minute of the hour to execute the dose. In the end I was finally able to get it working.

For now I'm just doing sanity checks to ensure it works correctly so I don't accidentally overdose. Also, trying to code, aka piecing together/tweaking existing examples, to track daily dosage amounts and estimated container volume remaining. I have the daily dosing amount some what working, but it seems to be inaccurate and will "drop" some, .3-.8ml, when a dose starts. Meaning if it shows 121.6 ml doses today. When the pump gets activated to dose say another 10ml, it will drop to 121.1, and then when the pump turns off it will read 122.1. I can't figure it out and doesn't make sense.

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used this discussion for the build and integration. The YAMK code did not work for me, so I had to tweak it to get it working. The problem with that is I'm not a coder, I can "read" it somewhat, but can't just code on my own, but I've started learning in my free time. So it took me few days to a week to get it working, especially since I had to translate the Name/Friendly Name. Most were fine and easy, but the one that took 90% of the time to fix was abbreviated so I couldn't just Google translate it. Following the code I was sure it was to set the minute of the hour to execute the dose. In the end I was finally able to get it working.

For now I'm just doing sanity checks to ensure it works correctly so I don't accidentally overdose. Also, trying to code, aka piecing together/tweaking existing examples, to track daily dosage amounts and estimated container volume remaining. I have the daily dosing amount some what working, but it seems to be inaccurate and will "drop" some, .3-.8ml, when a dose starts. Meaning if it shows 121.6 ml doses today. When the pump gets activated to dose say another 10ml, it will drop to 121.1, and then when the pump turns off it will read 122.1. I can't figure it out and doesn't make sense.

Joi Reef? Google is turning up nothing...

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Joyreef sorry
Curious about it, will look into and see how it differs from Reef-Pi. The nice thing about the Sonoff being reflashed with Tasmota firmware is that it is it's own entity and doesn't need anything else to work. It has it's own GUI that you can setup a WIFI connection, MQTT, dosing schedules, and it even give you the ability to change the GPIO pin configurations (not sure what benefits this serves though). Down side it isn't a simple upload new firmware. You need to have a breakout board, and do some basic soldering to provide the connection to put it in the upload firmware state. Then it is just a simple push via some software on a computer.

But to keep us on topic, I would love to see the ability to reflash the Jebao controller and integrate it with my ecosystem. @snackpack please let me know if you end up going forward with this. I only have the one controller, so I can't just take a plunge and risk taking my return pump out of action. If you get it to a point to where you reflash and it will give basic functionality (stay on @ set speed), I'll do it as well and help where I can.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to solder everything for my dosing pump.

I was a little woried about relying on someone free to access IOT app, I figure it won't be up forever like how web2.0 applets disappeared from the internet. But he/she maintains it and its worked great!

I would make the switch to something that runs local though absolutely, as long as it can run on the wifi arduinos I have laying around from building my pumps.

The plus side is with this applet, is that while internet is required for making changes, at least afaik the local ui doesn't have any of the controls, it holds its configs and continues operating without connecting even after loss of power (once power is regained)

I might just look into switching now, at the time I built these last year, I couldn't find any good resources on reef-PI dosing projects.

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Utilizing the Sonoff 4ChPro makes it totally autonomous as well. I use reef-pi now really for the integration of switches and my temp sensor into HA, and tha tis only because I'm messing with everything else and getting it added directly into HA. Once I'm done I'll move them over and remove Reef-Pi totally. This method requires Wi-Fi to tweak anything, but it has 4 buttons that can be used to manually control each head if needed. See the picture below (ignore mess, still working on the dashboard integration) The lights on the left, buttons on the right in the picture. Blue light steady on means it is connected to the Wi-Fi by default(had to tweak settings to get it this way once Tasmota was flashed, but not really important) and the 4 lights below light up when each pump is on. On the right are the 4 buttons that can manually control each dosing head. You can read more at these two links Tasmota Install
More info on the build and HA integration

Through the HA integration I can calibrate it and setup dose specific schedules. The Tasmota GUI will allow you to configure a timer, but seems less user friendly as it sits.

P_20231110_125200.jpg

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their DCP return pumps on 2 of my aquariums and I have their gyre pumps on 4 aquariums. The only tank I have that is not using Jaebao is my big tank. Only reason I did not get one for that tank is that I had a CurrentUSA eFlux 6011 already and its been an amazing pump. Jaebao smart app for the flow pumps is horrid. But the pumps are pretty good.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have their DCP return pumps on 2 of my aquariums and I have their gyre pumps on 4 aquariums. The only tank I have that is not using Jaebao is my big tank. Only reason I did not get one for that tank is that I had a CurrentUSA eFlux 6011 already and its been an amazing pump. Jaebao smart app for the flow pumps is horrid. But the pumps are pretty good.
I think the app is better than it was with the overhaul this year. But their scheduling circle could be totally redesigned and I would not complain

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the app is better than it was with the overhaul this year. But their scheduling circle could be totally redesigned and I would not complain
I have not tried the app again in a year. It was just so bad. I do everything from the controllers. I also just saw there is a new line for gyre not the SCP which kinda sucks because I just bought another gyre SCP pump 2 months ago. I will see if I can try to get wifi working again on them.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 68 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back