Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

Corey Chism

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size flex hose is everyone using to run to the DT? Would going from 1 inch to 1/2in create to much pressure? Should I just do 3/4 hose to the DT instead?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size flex hose is everyone using to run to the DT? Would going from 1 inch to 1/2in create to much pressure? Should I just do 3/4 hose to the DT instead?

I personally use a 50' marine grade (white) garden hose. I cut the metal ends off and replaced them with the plastic fittings. Just one way to accomplish it.

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a water changing station set up! The stand is self made and the whole project took me little over a month to do, I was only able to work on it when I had free time away from work and not entertaining the family. The support for the tanks are 4x4's, I have them on each corner, the middle, and also right underneath the tanks so the support board doesn't bow from the weight of it. I then framed around the 4x4's along the top and bottom to make it sturdier and painted it black. The plumbing diagram was borrowed from someone on R2R. I ran my own electrical and have two receptacles above the station to power other items if I decide to put them in the tanks. The RO tank is currently filling now and half way done. The only thing I need to finish this project is a long enough hose to reach where my tanks are going to be.

IMG_7843.JPG

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7844.JPG

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a water changing station set up! The stand is self made and the whole project took me little over a month to do, I was only able to work on it when I had free time away from work and not entertaining the family. The support for the tanks are 4x4's, I have them on each corner, the middle, and also right underneath the tanks so the support board doesn't bow from the weight of it. I then framed around the 4x4's along the top and bottom to make it sturdier and painted it black. The plumbing diagram was borrowed from someone on R2R. I ran my own electrical and have two receptacles above the station to power other items if I decide to put them in the tanks. The RO tank is currently filling now and half way done. The only thing I need to finish this project is a long enough hose to reach where my tanks are going to be.

IMG_7843.JPG

IMG_7845.JPG

IMG_7842.JPG

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7850.JPG

IMG_7844.JPG

Looks good!

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine but since I got a killer deal on my ACE MOTO 25 GALLON Storage containers as you can see in pix #2. I went with them even now i just completed my mixing station using Brute cans. I have to buy all new Cepex ball valves but to me, it's well worth it since the unseals I bought are complete garbage and leak and the proper holes were drilled for the 1'' uniseal.
Pic of my new containers I just bought will have bulkheads already installed. Also, my new 6 Stage BRS RODI system I picked up, A Inkbird temp controller where my heater will plug in and can be monitored w/ alarms and my salinity PinPoint monitor for my saltwater container.
My mixing station will have 2 Spears ball valves on each side coming off a 3/4'' tee into a Sch80 Street x spigot 90 so I can either fill up freshwater or saltwater in a bucket at any given time. More to comes ones I start the build.

sm#2.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 2.37.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 9.01.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 10.12.41 AM.png

Last edited:

tminnick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just another quick update. I realized that the additional setup diagram would be helpful here..

Here is a more detailed representation of my plans.. the White ( Yellow in this pic ) is to drop / float valve into a RO container near the sump

Hope this helps..

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish i could get Ace-Roto Mold water containers like you guys have, here in Aus i cant find much similar offerings. :(

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I thought that I'd get your thoughts on my proposed mixing station. I'm new to saltwater (still building my first tank) but have got my tank drilled, my RODI unit ordered and am trying to sort out my mixing station.

The boss has thrown a spanner in the works by not wanting me to have two tanks in plain sight, and wants me to hide them away. The only way I can see to do it, is store the tanks beneath our deck, which means I'll have to use horizontal/flat tanks.

I've found these that should do the trick, but wanted your thoughts on issues I might encounter. I reckon that good mixing will be difficult, but can anyone else see any problems?

https://www.bluewatertanks.com.au/handling-equipment/100-litre-undertray-water-tank/

456166b6a3643173d6690c3930f77d7e.jpeg

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a query as I start to think about this project.
You are using the same pump to pump the fresh RODI water to your ATO reservoir (turning on valves 2 & 4 and running pumps C) and also to circulate water in the saltwater mix tank (turning on valves 1 & 3 and running pump C)

Does this not leave the salt water and salt residue in the pump and pipes between valves 1 & 3 & 4? Thus when you next pump fresh RODI water to the ATO it has a salt water initial flush thus contaminating the ATO water?

Also, what is the pump that people are generally using?

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a query as I start to think about this project.
You are using the same pump to pump the fresh RODI water to your ATO reservoir (turning on valves 2 & 4 and running pumps C) and also to circulate water in the saltwater mix tank (turning on valves 1 & 3 and running pump C)

Does this not leave the salt water and salt residue in the pump and pipes between valves 1 & 3 & 4? Thus when you next pump fresh RODI water to the ATO it has a salt water initial flush thus contaminating the ATO water?

Also, what is the pump that people are generally using?

I do use the same pump for mixing and pumping both fresh and saltwater to the ATO reservoir and display. And yes, there is some residual water in the lines, pump and hose from the different activities.

In my case, here's how I handle it. If the last activity involved only fresh water, and now it's time to pump saltwater for a water change, or time to pump water in to the salt container and mix, I don't worry about the residual fresh in the pump or hose. There simply isn't enough residual water to make a noticeable difference.

However, if the last activity involved saltwater, and now it's time to say pump fresh to the reservoir, I do run the pump for a minute or so in to a sink near my station to flush out the saltwater. To me, it's easier to do that than to have to have two seperate pumps.

In all honesty I don't do water changes nearly as often as I used to, so my pump and lines are filled with fresh water most of the time, so it's not a big deal.

Arron209

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use the same pump for mixing and pumping both fresh and saltwater to the ATO reservoir and display. And yes, there is some residual water in the lines, pump and hose from the different activities.

In my case, here's how I handle it. If the last activity involved only fresh water, and now it's time to pump saltwater for a water change, or time to pump water in to the salt container and mix, I don't worry about the residual fresh in the pump or hose. There simply isn't enough residual water to make a noticeable difference.

However, if the last activity involved saltwater, and now it's time to say pump fresh to the reservoir, I do run the pump for a minute or so in to a sink near my station to flush out the saltwater. To me, it's easier to do that than to have to have two seperate pumps.

In all honesty I don't do water changes nearly as often as I used to, so my pump and lines are filled with fresh water most of the time, so it's not a big deal.
+1

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my revised Mixing station! Two Ace Moto vertical storage containers that will be connected to my NeptuneDOS AWC system that will sit next to my display in a custom cabinet that I will be building on each side of my tank. one side will be the Mixing Station and the DOS and on the other side will be all of my Apex modules and EB8 power bricks.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.53.19 AM.png

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out for some advice. My RODI is in my temp controlled laundry room, my water storage is in my garage that is NOT temp controlled. Here in Kentucky it gets hot and humid in the summers and pretty cold in the winters. My garage has 1 outside wall plus the door, the other 2 walls are surrounded by the house and there is a bedroom above the garage.

I want to run some Mur-lok line through the wall from the laundry room and into the garage. My concern is the line sweating and creating a problem inside the wall. I only intended to create a hole big enough to push the 1/4" line through. My other concern is the length of the run, when it is all said and done it will be a 30-40 foot run.

Please share comments, suggests and concerns!

Thanks!

I live in FL and have the same problem as well with the heat so I had to bring in my mixing station in my house. It was leaving nasty caked up residue stuff in the barrels due to how hot it was getting in my garage.

dowsetts101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish i could get Ace-Roto Mold water containers like you guys have, here in Aus i cant find much similar offerings. :(

What sort of containers have you managed to track down? I'm in the same boat, see all these great products but just a tease as I can't find them here either!!

PlanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my revised Mixing station! Two Ace Moto vertical storage containers that will be connected to my NeptuneDOS AWC system that will sit next to my display in a custom cabinet that I will be building on each side of my tank. one side will be the Mixing Station and the DOS and on the other side will be all of my Apex modules and EB8 power bricks.

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 11.53.19 AM.png
Very cool, I am surfing through everyones setup, and steering toward what you and @pelphrey have done. What is your display/sump volume?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%

Back