0   0   0
This is my theory:
Alk. 8.2
Calcium: 400
Mag: 1420
Phos: .15
Nitrate: 2
Salt 1.026
ICP test indicators all within normal limits with the exception of Iodine ( it was high but I resolved through water changes)

Weekly water changes of 5 gallons

My duncan coral is closed , Ginopora retracted, birds nest browned out showing signs of RTN

My neon green leather coral looks extremely good.

Ive had tons of success in this hobby and am pretty knowledgeable on basic reefing practices.

My theory is since my BRS dual carbon blocks havnt been changed in 8 or so months that im letting chloramines into my system.
Pics will be below
It’s an easy thing to try. I’ve just never heard of anyone solving such a scenario with a carbon block swap.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our water sucks out here, a few weeks ago all the tanks in LI that did a water change had mad silicates and chloromines, my main system does not get water changes , but saw it in the ones that do , and EVERY fish store I went to in the last 3 weeks also having makeup water issues by looking at it. I find it happens a few times a year they just send us total ish water for a few weeks. As for the rodi , I used a cheapo RO buddy for 4 years for makeup water without changing the resin or anything still no issues with it or the system that gets that top off ( 5 gallons a day ). Its my main DT and frag setup. LPS , SPS, Zoas everything blowing up like balloons.

OP
OP
LEOreefer

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our water sucks out here, a few weeks ago all the tanks in LI that did a water change had mad silicates and chloromines, my main system does not get water changes , but saw it in the ones that do , and EVERY fish store I went to in the last 3 weeks also having makeup water issues by looking at it. I find it happens a few times a year they just send us total ish water for a few weeks. As for the rodi , I used a cheapo RO buddy for 4 years for makeup water without changing the resin or anything still no issues with it or the system that gets that top off ( 5 gallons a day ). Its my main DT and frag setup. LPS , SPS, Zoas everything blowing up like balloons.
That’s funny cuz my ICP showed silicates through the roof

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WrongIsland , thank god I have been doing the oldschool "berlin" method now the "triton" method (without triton) and ride through alot of the "water events "Can't wait to get better water again.

Reefin Ryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Computer repair brain inc off the cuff and potentially can send you down wrong trains of though so take with a grain of salt, lol:
Source water=cheap and easy to test or applying fresh RO/DI filters on without testing to scratch off the list of potentials
ICP test= you did one and have the luxery of scratching off everything they test for like rusting things and out of whack elements.
Water changes=You've been doing some while diluting your iodine issue so some new cleaning product your wife used a little too close to the tank should be getting diluted as well. Not sure if you run a little carbon but if so then it's the same concept of dilution.
Parameters= You listed them but do they swing out of range
Leeching things=maybe something is faster then you are diluting/absorbing
Other changes that might have seemed like small things like dosing something and seemingly unrelated gear changes or even fish/coral/salt changes etc.= only you know if and can gauge if it's a realistic possibility or not.
I dunno, just spit balling here going down my mental troubleshooting list, haha.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back