Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's C. rubeus. Rubeus is the new name for what used to commonly be known as rubriventralis. The true rubriventralis is limited to the Red Sea and seldom enters the trade.
Thanks, that's what I was starting to think. The main thing that was throwing me off was the yellow line that divides the red and white. Looked like night and day almost to the socials (rubeus) in the tank next to it that where really bright and $25 cheaper. I'm guessing just a different location variation that was confused and labeled pennant wrasse.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1479414167.628806.jpg
IMG_1479414175.342390.jpg

Difference between splendid fairy wrasse and pintail fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus isosceles?).

Saw a splendid at my lfs, looked a lot like my pintail fairy. Can't find much on them. The same or no?

Thanks!
Chris

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1479414167.628806.jpg
IMG_1479414175.342390.jpg

Difference between splendid fairy wrasse and pintail fairy wrasse (cirrhilabrus isosceles?).

Saw a splendid at my lfs, looked a lot like my pintail fairy. Can't find much on them. The same or no?

Thanks!
Chris
Same fish, different common names.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same fish, different common names.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity does this look like it's transitioning into a male? It has more color in it's face and the tail is starting to point more than mine is. Was something like 130$, thought it was a decent deal. Thanks again!

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this little guy is? Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
Its lateral line glows white when its swimming away from you.

IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3102.JPG

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the speedy response. You nailed it.

Last edited:

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's C. rubeus. Rubeus is the new name for what used to commonly be known as rubriventralis. The true rubriventralis is limited to the Red Sea and seldom enters the trade.
I hate to question you fish intelligence and I honestly don't think I've even seen an incorrect ID from you, but... How sure are you that it is a C. rubeus? The yellow line and black(ish) on the fins (in person, my flash changes that in the photos) still leaves me wondering. I really hope, but doubt, to have a decent photo of him soon. Here is a better (still not the best) shot of him. I'm never quick enough to catch the flash when I'm actually close to having it focused.
j562vFR.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to question you fish intelligence and I honestly don't think I've even seen an incorrect ID from you, but... How sure are you that it is a C. rubeus? The yellow line and black(ish) on the fins (in person, my flash changes that in the photos) still leaves me wondering. I really hope, but doubt, to have a decent photo of him soon. Here is a better (still not the best) shot of him. I'm never quick enough to catch the flash when I'm actually close to having it focused.
j562vFR.jpg
It looks like a C. rubeus from the Maldives, but seeing the fins would help to id for sure.

Last edited:

Squared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold to me as a female filament wrasse, can anyone confirm?

7acc0bc8-d5bd-425d-9b3b-9fc3a8cd8803_zpstgmaysvs.jpg

Thinking it is actually a lubbocki wrasse. They had a lot of small females like this, would it be worth to go pick up another one or two? How long would it take to transition to male all by itself?

I have a 40 gallon with the following fish: venustus angel, atrosalarias fuscus (blenny), a pair of blackfoot clowns, valentini puffer, and tricolor anthias, in case this matters.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone confirm ID please?
Not 100% sure...

IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
Looks to be a female in the rubriventralis complex.

Thinking it is actually a lubbocki wrasse. They had a lot of small females like this, would it be worth to go pick up another one or two? How long would it take to transition to male all by itself?

I have a 40 gallon with the following fish: venustus angel, atrosalarias fuscus (blenny), a pair of blackfoot clowns, valentini puffer, and tricolor anthias, in case this matters.
Could be. A correct id on the species level for female flashers is pretty difficult.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone confirm ID please?
Not 100% sure...

IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
Yeah, I can't say much more either; but definitely a female in the rubriventralis complex. Maybe kwazulu, but that's far from certain right now.

I feel strongly about it being a female C. pylei.

They had a lot of small females like this, would it be worth to go pick up another one or two? How long would it take to transition to male all by itself?
I wouldn't: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pairing-wrasses-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.3/
Further reading: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

uk-ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fellas. Will watch on over the next couple of months and report back. It came in with a Male isosceles and was sold as a pair. Although fish shop did agree it was not a female pintail, fingers crossed whatever she is, she is peaceful...

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like what's been called, so far, as Darwin's Glow Wrasse. It's in the cyanopleura complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back