Let Me ID Your Wrasse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up this Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. I liked the coloration on this one, but it is also obviously stressed. I assume it is an Indian Ocean variant, but is it Africa, Maldives, western Indian Ocean, other?

Thanks for the insight!

Mark

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up this Exquisite Fairy Wrasse. I liked the coloration on this one, but it is also obviously stressed. I assume it is an Indian Ocean variant, but is it Africa, Maldives, western Indian Ocean, other?

Thanks for the insight!

Mark

African

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one of these for a couple of years in a 150g FOWLR. I knew what it was/is.

But wow, the name. haha

slippery-dick-initial-phase_438x0_scale.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have read the article on the Exquisite complex, but could you please explain the coloration distinction between the African and West IO variants? Seems like Maldives have a little less red.

I appreciate the education!
Mark
The amount of red in the face, the dorsal color and patterning, and where the median stripe breaks.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Please confirm ID of these two sub 1.5 inch wrasse. I ID them as H. biocellatus and H. melanurus. It is hard to tell some of the juvenile from each other for me. I don’t want any surprise after I get them into my 320 DT. Really hard to get them out. Sorry for the color. They were up early
0D58196C-5BC8-4F7C-8AC1-991088936A16.png
E636FBEA-23E1-4FAE-93A1-FBECD99CA622.png

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Please confirm ID of these two sub 1.5 inch wrasse. I ID them as H. biocellatus and H. melanurus. It is hard to tell some of the juvenile from each other for me. I don’t want any surprise after I get them into my 320 DT. Really hard to get them out. Sorry for the color. They were up early
0D58196C-5BC8-4F7C-8AC1-991088936A16.png
E636FBEA-23E1-4FAE-93A1-FBECD99CA622.png
1st pic is H. biocellatus.

2nd pic is most likely H. melanurus, but could be H. chrysotaenia, leucurus, or kallochroma

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st pic is H. biocellatus.

2nd pic is most likely H. melanurus, but could be H. chrysotaenia, leucurus, or kallochroma
@evolved
Are juveniles of these species looks the same, therefore I cannot know for sure until she start to develop a little more or should I try harder to positively ID her?
Are there any significant behavior differences between adult fishes above? Should I add her to the tank anyway because all of these species should be reef-safe in a 320 gal? TIA. I always appreciated your advice. Both of you really help me a lot in selecting and keeping wrasses for my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved
Are juveniles of these species looks the same, therefore I cannot know for sure until she start to develop a little more or should I try harder to positively ID her?
Are there any significant behavior differences between adult fishes above? Should I add her to the tank anyway because all of these species should be reef-safe in a 320 gal? TIA. I always appreciated your advice. Both of you really help me a lot in selecting and keeping wrasses for my tank.
I started to reply a couple of days ago and got interrupted and forgot to get back, sorry about that.

In the more recent pic I am leaning toward H. leucurus because of the amount of orange in the anal fin. But that is by no means a positive id.

You could add it. Melanurus is the most aggressive species of the possible species, but they usually aren't too bad, especially in a big tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back