Let me tell you about this jerk...

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a 3.5" Yellow watchmen goby, a pistol shrimp and a Royal Gramma. Had the YWG and the royal in QT together for 30 days. Everything is cool.

Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, its display tank time! Acclimate together, everything is chill. As soon as I put them in the tank, the watchmen attacks the Royal, putting his whole head in his mouth. My wife starts screaming like she is witnessing a murder. I separate them. The Royal seemed ok, no visible wounds, swimming ok. He came out to eat last night, but haven't seen him all day today, even for food, might not have made it. Put my phone in a bag and looked around the back of the rocks, cant seem to see him at all.

The jerk is hiding under a rock, frowning at me.
jerk.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's the "new tank new rules" saying. All bets are off for a goby when there is new territory to claim especially if the habitat has caves, etc that make good homes. I have kept freshwater gobies for a long time and of course now saltwater gobies and they can be bitterly territorial and even more so when new territory needs to be claimed. I really hope you find your royal Gramma he's OK.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's the "new tank new rules" saying. All bets are off for a goby when there is new territory to claim especially if the habitat has caves, etc that make good homes. I have kept freshwater gobies for a long time and of course now saltwater gobies and they can be bitterly territorial and even more so when new territory needs to be claimed. I really hope you find your royal Gramma he's OK.
Havent seen the Gramma all day, ever for the two feedings :( Think he died under a rock. Stuck my phone down there and tried to video, but can't see him. Haven't seen the shrimp either, but he is just a little guy, so might not see him for months.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent seen the Gramma all day, ever for the two feedings :( Think he died under a rock. Stuck my phone down there and tried to video, but can't see him. Haven't seen the shrimp either, but he is just a little guy, so might not see him for months.
Oh that sucks! Sorry to hear that. I will keep my fingers crossed just in case. Gobies are my favourite fish but they can be pains in the rear end!

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's so awful, I would have lost my mind if that happened to me, Royal gramma goes for the price of 6 YWG where I live. I think it's best if you remove the goby from the tank, fish sometimes get spooked by other fishes by their presence alone. My yellow watchman went into hiding after I added a flame angel, I've never seen the angel act aggressive towards the goby but it just went under a rock and dissappeared.

Last edited by a moderator:

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had the same thing happen to be but a bit different. engineer goby thought it'd be a great idea to take a bite at my cleaner shrimp... and dead. along with my YWG, I haven't seen him for weeks and everything used to be peaceful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is it? Cryptocentrus can be quite an aggressive genus compared to other gobies.
Also don’t lose hope instantly, I have had many of my fish vanish and then re-emerge after about 5 days of being MIA.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice! It's a 130 gallon tank.

I have a decision to make. Breadbox said it would be a good idea to move him out of the tank. So that was the plan today, but he just seems to be doing so well now. I have read that the initial shock of a new tank can cause a little aggression, but now he has his little rock and is chillin'. Hasnt attacked anything else, even during feeding.

Do you all think I need to move/return him?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a decision to make. Breadbox said it would be a good idea to move him out of the tank. So that was the plan today, but he just seems to be doing so well now. I have read that the initial shock of a new tank can cause a little aggression, but now he has his little rock and is chillin'. Hasnt attacked anything else, even during feeding.

I personally wouldn’t return him and would just keep a close eye on him.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My experience has been that once they stake out their territory they are fine. I think this goes for a lot of fish, not just gobies. I wouldn't return him but you could keep an eye on him.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up on the Royal Gramma
I have one that makes an appearance about once a month.
He just likes to hide
I’ve had him over two years in two different tanks with different fish
He just hates being out in the open

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back