Lets make an LED tanks par database with builds?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par database with tank builds, specially acropora-dominant, under LED lights

Hi folks, I believe this is a REALLY cloudy topic.
Most of @Dana Riddle ’s amazing articles have shown that 250-350 PAR is pretty adequate for most Acropora.

On the other hand we have seen many extreme PAR (800ish) advocates among acropora keepers.

I understand many acro keepers use MH / T5s. But it is a forever growing method to keep those corals under LEDs. But most LED users have burnt many corals while using above 400 par exposure.

I would also like to point out a great paralel threat of PAR database, that´s amazing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-par-database.538894/page-7

I also understand that many experienced reefers do not have the time to update small topics like this, but already have made detailed Tank Builds.

My suggestion: are you aware of tank builds for acros under LED that seriously measured PAR? It would be nice to post those builds and I encourage anyone who can to post it under here.

I post my par readings as an example, but my tank is a child and not a great example to be followed, but it would be nice to post other tank build links with the tank owner and lights used. My example goes under this post...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is already a good one going with some builds here I think Thread '**** R2R Par Database ****' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/r2r-par-database.538894/

Yeah. That's a very cool database. I have even sent my tank PAR readings over there!

I took the liberty of opening this paralel thread for 3 reasons:

1 - trying to focus on LED PAR readings, it seems to me that mixing T5/MH info makes information quite messy

2 - in this case, I´m not asking the tank owner to send PAR readings (which would be great, but it seems most people do not have time available for that), so instead I´m checking every single build thread for those that did read PAR and those that use LEDs. This could be done by anyone else, so this database could become much larger...

3 - I´m also very interested in checking LED PAR for those that have kept Acros for a really long time, so this could add a lot

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That's a very cool database. I have even sent my tank PAR readings over there!

I took the liberty of opening this paralel thread for 3 reasons:

1 - trying to focus on LED PAR readings, it seems to me that mixing T5/MH info makes information quite messy

2 - in this case, I´m not asking the tank owner to send PAR readings (which would be great, but it seems most people do not have time available for that), so instead I´m checking every single build thread for those that did read PAR and those that use LEDs. This could be done by anyone else, so this database could become much larger...

3 - I´m also very interested in checking LED PAR for those that have kept Acros for a really long time, so this could add a lot
Gotcha.
here are my par readings if that helps. Only LED

Tank build: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cvs-noobie-75g-tank-year-3.440927/post-7559756

Tank owner: @boacvh

Lights: Kessil 360x

Back