Let's see them triggers!

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having just got a blue throat (blue jaw) trigger I'm instantly obsessed! So let's see what everyone else has got (and any interesting tank mates) I'll start the ball rolling with "Bluey McBlueface" (thank my 4 year old son for the name!)
20180307_174946-01.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous. Love the name!
I have to get pics of mine. I have a pair of bluecheek (blue chin, whatever). Well, a boy and a girl. They are still young and not paired in any sense of the word. however, the female has stopped beating up the male, so that is good. :) My male is still recovering a bit from the female and the angel picking on him after introduction a month ago. I think he preferred qt. ;Shamefullyembarrased

Hope to get pics soon. Love these guys personalities though. My female comes and eats out of my hand and is very much a pig. Her and my puffer make me laugh all the time.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man i miss my trigger, I really want another. The last one i had jumped out of the tank and I did not find it in time.

I just lost a hippo tang due to a self sustained injury, so it might be time to add a larger fish again!

I had a Niger, but love the blue throats as well, what are other reef friendly types?

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you enabled Big head mode on your tank... lol cute fish

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown trigger is my fav fish, I would love to have a tank that was suitable for one.

OP
OP
stevepaynr84

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the pics so far guys. My boy absolutely loves clown triggers but they're too big and aggressive for my tank

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who love clown triggers: clown triggers are actually a tale of two fish. The notorious aggressive ones usually are purchased at a larger size; between 3-4" are most commonly seen, at this size and any larger generally grow up aggressive to very aggressive. Any really large trigger right from the ocean is a bad idea for most home aquariums.

Now, if you get one 1-1.5" and raise it yourself; you are talking about a very different fish. The ones I've raised were all great community fish in aggressive tanks, even in tanks as small as a 180g. The one I have now eats out of my hand.

Internet folklore galore; the rate of growth and size are greatly exaggerated. Clown triggers for the most part grow around an inch a year and slows down quite a bit when they are around 5-6". In captivity it would be rare if you ever see one reach 9". I've known clown triggers living in a 10k gallon aquarium for 10 years and never even reach 9".

I would never keep a clown trigger in a reef, one day they will destroy corals, it's what triggers do. The Xanthichthys genus of triggers do not act like normal triggers, so the blue jaws do not reflect any of these observations.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C1115D1-7BCD-4913-B987-84F692A882F9.jpeg
We love Triggers! Have a Picasso, red tail and niger in a 180 with Koran angel, emperor angel, majestic angel, porcupine puffer, scopa tang, Sohal tang, fox face, harlequin tusk, and jewel eel. It’s an aggressive tank for sure! Also just got pair of blue throat triggers for the 300gal reef.

5EC56725-F8F3-4851-916D-AF82E7E65F79.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hellion I kept with my pair of G moringas
undy.jpg~original

My 1st tank was a humu, niger, and undy. The undy went a 1000g tank at a bar I use to hang out at when he become out of control. He was a bar favorite. I was considering an undy/fimbriated eel tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back