Let's talk about EXTERNAL glass cleaning?

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It dawned on me today, as I was doing some preventative maintenance in my sump, that your glass can be spotless on the inside of the aquarium but if the outside is dirty, its all for naught.

Unfortunately he outside of your aquarium is seemingly an extremely overlooked topic - but as i looked from the bottom up I saw large numbers of streaks, smudges and smears not visible from head on but nonetheless left behind by the glass cleaner and cleaning medium - in this case, the usual "Best Glass Cleaner" (because ammonia free) and a paper towel. I have no doubt in some degree - though not entirely perceptible - this takes away from the aesthetic. A before and after would likely reveal.

I spent a lot of money, time, sweat (and explaining and compromising) to make my system so why would I not invest the same amount of effort into how I clean the external glass?

What combination does everyone use with good success? What sort of cleaning fluid? What sort of cleaning medium?

Open to suggestions because what I am doing isn't quite as good as it can be.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
1489700551966.jpg
I had to of tryed everything. But this right here ^^^ best 2 dollars spent in my life
It dawned on me today, as I was doing some preventative maintenance in my sump, that your glass can be spotless on the inside of the aquarium but if the outside is dirty, its all for naught.

Unfortunately he outside of your aquarium is seemingly an extremely overlooked topic - but as i looked from the bottom up I saw large numbers of streaks, smudges and smears not visible from head on but nonetheless left behind by the glass cleaner and cleaning medium - in this case, the usual "Best Glass Cleaner" (because ammonia free) and a paper towel. I have no doubt in some degree - though not entirely perceptible - this takes away from the aesthetic. A before and after would likely reveal.

I spent a lot of money, time, sweat (and explaining and compromising) to make my system so why would I not invest the same amount of effort into how I clean the external glass?

What combination does everyone use with good success? What sort of cleaning fluid? What sort of cleaning medium?

Open to suggestions because what I am doing isn't quite as good as it can be.

Sm51498

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The squeegee removes all the water, I wipe drips with paper towels. You could use RO water if you wanted.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The squeegee removes all the water, I wipe drips with paper towels. You could use RO water if you wanted.
what...is that? Intrigued.
Lolol! Bingo! Really though, i tryed everything. Newspaper, vinegar, cleaners, even peroxide, and i just wasnt satisfied. Take a spray bottle of ro water, and litterally 3 swipes each pane with the squeegy with a towel down and im done.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will report back with results. That's crazy enough to work.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, I don't use anything. Any water that drips/splashes onto the glass, I just instantly wipe off with a soft microfiber. Since it's salt water, it will sometimes leave a haze. Which I just use the dry side of the microfiber and wipe it again. My glass is absolutely spotless with this simple method. I guess if you don't keep on top of it then you would maybe need some for of liquid to re-soften the dried salt water.

waybad41willys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I clean my Red Sea 650 I wax the glass with automotive wax it really leave spotless Finnish make my scraper slide smoothly it even help keep some of the new salt splashes and smudges from happening . Even keep fingerprints off glass

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Windex/Invisible glass sprayed on paper towel in garage. I wipe the glass with that and then polish with a microfiber to remove any haze or streaking. A microfiber towel with good nap is a must. Auto geek.com sells some nice microfiber towels of varying quality.

stevepaynr84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used vinegar and water then recently tried atm mirage... It's very good to be fair but takes a heck of a lot of 'polishing' to get good results so I've tended to stick to my vinegar for the majority of the time and then use the atm if someone is coming over and want it to look extra clean

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back