Let's talk about EXTERNAL glass cleaning?

Aaron Gustafson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many here, I use white vinegar. I have a glass lid too and I sometimes take that to the sink and soap it off, but vinegar does the trick and also does great on salt creep. I also don't have to worry about a drop getting in the tank (unlike glass cleaners).

WandaMay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use microfiber for drips when they happen then when I really need to clean it usually after water changes I spray straight vinegar or vodka and water (I use vodka water and essential oils in a spray bottle for lots of household cleaning) and wipe down with paper towel and buff with clean microfiber Works great! I also make sure I check for haze/ smudges from angles and straight on and usually find spots I missed inside tank..... so I quickly get the scraper back out and clean those, dripping saltwater all over the outside of the freshly washed tank just so I can start process all over again LOL but hey maybe it will prevent flabby arms

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many here, I use white vinegar. I have a glass lid too and I sometimes take that to the sink and soap it off, but vinegar does the trick and also does great on salt creep. I also don't have to worry about a drop getting in the tank (unlike glass cleaners).
Don't use soap on the lids!! Learned the hard way!! Use as hot as you can tolerate and I use a "fish only " scrubby. The hot glass will quickly dry and the remaining spot you just buff with a paper towel. NO SOAP!! My whole tank crashed!
I use 'e cloth window cleaning class and window polishing pack' which consist of 2 clothes one of which you just get damp with water, and wipe the glass down (this removes grease, marks etc) and then immediately after whilst still damp you use the fine polishing cloth. You can get them online.

The tank glass is spotless and absolutely no smears at all. Works with either normal or RO. There also antibacterial but without chemicals.

Rain X twice a year + microfiber = Wipes right off wet or dry.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A squeegee? That doesn't even make sense! Inside the tank it works great, but outside? Just where is the squeegee water supposed to go? It will end up on the stand and the floor. Just another message to clean up.

gobylove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm, I don't use anything. Any water that drips/splashes onto the glass, I just instantly wipe off with a soft microfiber. Since it's salt water, it will sometimes leave a haze. Which I just use the dry side of the microfiber and wipe it again. My glass is absolutely spotless with this simple method. I guess if you don't keep on top of it then you would maybe need some for of liquid to re-soften the dried salt water.
i do the same

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz acrylic/glass cleaner with a microfiber towel. It also leaves the glass with a anti friction coating so the algae cleaning magnets just slide across .

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning really well with whatever method. Very carefully apply Rain-X to the exterior. Put the liquid on the rag first, don't spray.

No fingerprints. Salt brushes right off. seriously, this saves so much time. I never clean mine.

Works great on your iPad too.

osras1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used the squeegee .. it works great but you have to get a new one every once and a while, because they bend.

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz acrylic/glass cleaner with a microfiber towel. It also leaves the glass with a anti friction coating so the algae cleaning magnets just slide across .
Where would I find this?
IMG_1490831016109.jpg

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning really well with whatever method. Very carefully apply Rain-X to the exterior. Put the liquid on the rag first, don't spray.

No fingerprints. Salt brushes right off. seriously, this saves so much time. I never clean mine.

Works great on your iPad too.
I bought the wipes to try rain mix it made my glass almost opac. What did I do wrong? I usually use auto glass cleaner on a paper towel. On the dry side I buff the whole thing. Takes about 2 minutes. I do it with my morning tank chores.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with API's Safe And Easy glass cleaner; also good for removing salt build-up. Claims to be safe for fish and plants.

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet paper towels. I don't care about streaks with 4 small kids at the house within 10 mins it's loaded with finger prints or water drizzle from me fishing my mp's out after my smallest pulls the magnets

Premium

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 oz white vinegar 2 oz isopropyl alcohol 2 drops blue dawn dish soap and rest RODI water in spray bottle. Works like a champ

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read all, tried all, but....

My glass is always dirty, with haze, streaks, smudges....

Maybe its user error :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back