Let's talk about EXTERNAL glass cleaning?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White vinegar and RO/DI with paper towel, works great. If I get a little of the mist in the tank, I call that carbon dosing;)

Gary Sutherland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1489700551966.jpg
I had to of tryed everything. But this right here ^^^ best 2 dollars spent in my life
I just use newspaper and some RO/di water with some vinegar... looks great and ever so easy to do.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20170318_18_56_50_Rich_LI.jpg
This stuff is safe and works for acrylic or glass tanks. First time I purchased was from a lfs about 20 years ago. It will leave your glass streak free and super smooth the magnet will glide over it

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bottle of API Safe & Easy at Petco. It's safe for fish and plants, can be used on glass or acrylic works very good. I won't use anything else.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old auto detailing trick I used to use (which is fantastic for tank glass in my experience) is instead of paper towels, use old newspaper. You'll be surprised how well it cleans and keeps streak free. edit: I see that was mentioned a couple posts ago.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pretty interesting stuff! I need to try the squeegee!

rantipole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my vast reefing experience (about 2 weeks since I got my first livestock), I've been wiping the tank down with white vinegar, drying it off, and then wiping it again with water and drying again. So far, so good, but now I want a squeegee.

Cheers,
rant

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

I went out and bought the squeegee and a spray bottle and promptly mixed the distilled vinegar/RODI into a cleaning solution. I sprayed the tank and started to use the squeegee only to find that the cleaning mixture would drip all over my stand and floor as I squeegeed it off. Granted, there seems to be some technique I am missing but this is a definite work stoppage issue.

I also purchased a package of the top reviewed microfiber cloths on Amazon. These proved to be much better than paper towels when paired with "The World's Best Glass Cleaner" which I was previously using. This didnt quite seal the deal though because I am real keen to try some of these automotive type solutions!

Will report back!

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro fiber tower and RODI for me. I always have a stack of clean towel on hand while working on the tank.

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Adam's Polishes glass cleaner. It's 100% Ammonia or Alcohol free made in CO. I also use the glass microfiber towels they sell.

OP
OP
D

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Adam's Polishes glass cleaner. It's 100% Ammonia or Alcohol free made in CO. I also use the glass microfiber towels they sell.

I will look into this!

JDNels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WP_20170318_18_56_50_Rich_LI.jpg
This stuff is safe and works for acrylic or glass tanks. First time I purchased was from a lfs about 20 years ago. It will leave your glass streak free and super smooth the magnet will glide over it
This is what I use. Like it better than vinegar

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old auto detailing trick I used to use (which is fantastic for tank glass in my experience) is instead of paper towels, use old newspaper. You'll be surprised how well it cleans and keeps streak free. edit: I see that was mentioned a couple posts ago.

Yip, I take two sheets...one I will wet lightly and 'clean' the glass with it, wiping you soon see where the salty bits are and it gets rid of it quickly enough. Then the dry one to polish it all up...it comes up squeaky clean which does make the fish jump a little sometimes!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back