Let's try this again.... - RedSea 200XL SPS Overload!!!

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where to begin, I think a brief intro is a good starting point… I became interested in saltwater tanks back in 2009 at the age of 19. My first tank was a 65g AGA with a Berlin style sump, skimmer and return pump. Fast forward a few years to November 2014 which is when I began setting up the monster tank! A 96”x30”x25” glasscages eurobraced all glass aquarium with a coast to coast glass overflow. This was my dream tank at the time. This system began evolving quickly and became almost a 600g system with several tanks plumb together. Unfortunately at the beginning of 2017 I had a flatworm outbreak which quickly got out of hand and spread to all the tanks since they were plumb together. This system was 95% SPS so the infestation was catastrophic.

Here are a few pictures of the tank in the last few months before the flatworm outbreak.

This was a 150g tub that was attached to the main tank plus the 40g Breeder seen in the first picture.

This was in December of 2016 at its peak. I had changed over from LED to T5’s just a few months prior to this image.

This was definitely a hard hit that would not be easy to overcome. My first daughter had just been born in June of 2016 so I decided to downgrade to a smaller tank rather than trying to rebuilding. I sold almost everything I had with the exception of a few things I was going to reuse.

The system I downgraded to was a RedSea Reefer 525XL (hence my screen name). That got going quick and it was up and running in Feb 2017. Fast forward to September 2017 and Florida (where I live) gets hit by hurricane Irma. My neighborhood lost power for 2 weeks so you can imagine what this did to my tank, yes you guessed it, everything and I mean everything died.

Below are a couple pictures of the tank mentioned above:

And the last picture

This was the last straw and I said to my self, this is it. Not going to be doing this anymore and well here we are in 2021 post COVID :) at it again. I guess there is no cure for this sickness and no Im not referring to COVID :) :)

OP
OP
Reefer525XL

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that the intro is out of the way lets discuss what Im setting up this time. Nothing big or jaw dropping, just something to get my hands wet. I mean you already know if you read the title of this thread :) Its a Red Sea Reefer 200XL.

Equipment:
Neptune Systems SKY
Neptune Systems ApexEL
Neptune Systems DOS
Neptune Systems Trident
Neptune Systems Cor15
Neptune Systems AFS
Sicce Streams SDC wave makers
Royal Exclusiv BK130 Skimmer

I’ll leave you with this picture for tonight and will continue in the morning!

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now that the intro is out of the way lets discuss what Im setting up this time. Nothing big or jaw dropping, just something to get my hands wet. I mean you already know if you read the title of this thread :) Its a Red Sea Reefer 200XL.

Equipment:
Neptune Systems SKY
Neptune Systems ApexEL
Neptune Systems DOS
Neptune Systems Trident
Neptune Systems Cor15
Neptune Systems AFS
Sicce Streams SDC wave makers
Royal Exclusiv BK130 Skimmer

I’ll leave you with this picture for tonight and will continue in the morning!

Any updates can’t wait to see it setting up the same thing right now

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back