LFS DOESN'T QUARANTINE

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Atherial thanks for the suggestion. What happens if the fish you purchase dies during quarantine / under their care?
At Wet Dreams there is no penalty and they'll order another fish for you. At Big Kahuna you would lose your deposit and would need to put down a new deposit for them to try again. The deposit is not a huge amount.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see velvet while doing this. Not saying it can't happen but so far this has worked tremendously great for me.
Im glad. Velvet is quick and dirty. I experienced it with a tomini tang. Healthy looking fish, went un noticed for a few weeks then bam, found it inside a hole, half as wide as it was the day or so before gasping for air.
Wasnt quick enough with copper and it succumbed and also killed my prized regal tang that i was too stupid not to remove to quarantine after......

TTM has its place but may not erradicate some velvet strains

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a flame angel and they are few and far between right now in Chicago area. I found one at a local LFS that looks great. I asked about their quarantine procedure and he said they have none and they got the fish yesterday. I am fairly new to the hobby and don't have a quarantine tank. Should I forget about the fish and search out one from a store that quarantines? Should I wait for Biota to stock and order direct from them as they are captive raised? Only other one I found that is nice is at another store that does quarantine. However, this fish is currently under treatment for a cloudy eye. He says it is getting better and he will hold for me until it clears. I know that flames have issues w flukes and bacterial infections, but outside of the eye, fish is a fine specimen. What thoughts do the long timers have?
Most of the QT done in the hobby is done in the US, few people over in Europe (Where I am), Asia and Oceania actually QT.
Im not on the QT side of most arguments but that is because I have lfs’s that I trust and I know how to run a reef with a disease in (and I honestly believe there are almost no sterile tanks in the Hobby, all of them will have Atleast one dormant disease or pest in it).
As long as the fish doesn’t stress, remains healthy and is feeding well I would definitely grab it - diseases rarely go for a fish that isn’t stressed or already suffering badly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a flame angel and they are few and far between right now in Chicago area. I found one at a local LFS that looks great. I asked about their quarantine procedure and he said they have none and they got the fish yesterday. I am fairly new to the hobby and don't have a quarantine tank. Should I forget about the fish and search out one from a store that quarantines? Should I wait for Biota to stock and order direct from them as they are captive raised? Only other one I found that is nice is at another store that does quarantine. However, this fish is currently under treatment for a cloudy eye. He says it is getting better and he will hold for me until it clears. I know that flames have issues w flukes and bacterial infections, but outside of the eye, fish is a fine specimen. What thoughts do the long timers have?

Even if the dealer doesn't quarantine, you still can and should. Also, always avoid "double bouncing fish" - that is, give fish 72+ hours to recover being shipped to the dealer before you buy them.

Back in the 1980's, when Old Town Aquarium was on Wells street, they quarantine all of their fish in the basement. Does their new store still do that?

Jay

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Aquatics still does a 30+ day quarantine before releasing any fish for sale. They also continually observe their livestock to ensure they look healthy and are eating well. "Available Now" fish means they have completed the 30+ day QT and are available now. "Pre Order" fish are fish that are partially through the QT process and are eating well, but still have a bit more time in copper. I hope this answers some community questions about TSM's QT procedures.

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
650 Reef in Palatine does brief copper. If you buy a fish, he'll keep it for you for a few more days/weeks in copper. Throw him a few extra bucks for mysis. Easy peasy.

Rob Romalino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TSM Aquatics does a 30+ day quarantine before releasing any fish for sale. They also continually observe their livestock to ensure they look healthy and are eating well. "Available Now" fish means they have completed the 30+ day QT and are available now. "Pre Order" fish are fish that are partially through the QT process and are eating well, but still have a bit more time in copper. I hope this answers some community questions about TSM's QT procedures. Their website is www.TSMaquatics.com.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back