Life in the Sump

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my hermit crabs turned murderous (killed conspecifics and snails) and I'm thinking of moving her to the sump.

My sump has no lighting - is this a problem? Does she need to be fed? Or do people banish bad guys to the sump to let them starve to death?

I really like the hermit, she's got a great personality and has been fun to watch, but I need snails in the DT.

Thanks!

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to use the sump as a temporary home before offloading troublesome inmates to the LFS or someone who wants them... I've got a tiger cowrie with a taste for starfish and corals in there at the moment. You need to feed them tho... tbh, depending on the cleanliness of your sump and whether you turn pumps off for feeding, there's likely to be enough to keep most animals well fed until you can rehouse them.

Fyi, I use my fuge, which is jam full of tasty treats... anything in there is probably better fed than in the DT!!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hermit in my sump as well. My sump does have a fuge however and I do not use filter socks to catch larger particles. If you think your sump is really clean you could probably just drop 1 shrimp pellet in once a week and keep your hermit happy. It doesn't need a light to find food.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back