light acclimation

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to what folks light acclimation process is when they get new SPS. For example, egg crate frag rack on the bottom for X number of days, then raise a few inches and allow to sit for X days, then glue to final location. Obviously this will depend a bit on what the prior lighting conditions were. Thanks for your input.

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got it right depend's. I have frag's in my frag system they are under 20k 250 mh if i move a frag that i want in my reef i just put them were i want . now that's because my reef run's 14k 150 mh so when you get a new coral i would ask what lighting they were under. but any hoo you should just start low and move up slow i would say maybe 3to 4 day's then move the coral up a bit then 3to 4 day's but every one on here will tell you how they do it i think you will kill coral by to much light at first killing them with to low of light will take a lot longer so you will know to little light is better at first IMO

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely varies. I just put them low and work them up to where they should be from anywhere from a couple days to a week or two. It also depends on what the lighting was like in the tank it came from. If it is the same as mine then why acclimate? Just my .02..:bigsmile:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back