Light brown stringy things with oxygen bubbles on mostly sps corals then breaching

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all reefers here please helping me identifying this if it’s Dino, they’re light brown or pale white about inches or 2 stringy looking sticking on sps corals, it happens 2 weeks already but didn’t spread to everywhere as most of YouTube videos shows, they’re little here and there on sps corals only(all on branching and encrusted types sps), seem they’re very toxic as they killed about 7 colonies and around 15 frags(mostly high end acro n cheap birds nest types), sps’s skin peels off their skullaton after the stringy things attached, easy to blow off but come back again. Tank been in zero po4 for about 2 years, no3 always 5ppm, these stringy slime came out after I dosing iron for enhancing the color of gonipora ...plz see video below. Thanks everyone!!!

Attachments

• B0783AEB-87AF-481E-BFE6-0D30125DA7E7.MOV
    11.1 MB
OP
OP
M

mingc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smh...dkw I can’t upload video

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 51

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm no help to you with the id.
But what I would advise is a longer video and in white light,as the blues alot have in out tanks make the corals look cool but our eyes struggle to see the definitions,and 5 seconds not that long if a video.
Maybe even a picture under white light .
Good luck

johnreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey ming, your video is working as i can see it, most like the dino if they kill corals that quick, hope some of our expert here can helping you out later! GL!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mingc

Those are dinos. They don't kill corals. They do however take over lost tissue quickly. I have an established tank of 10 years and I have dinos they are only really a problem with corals when the corals have died in an area from something else.

That said they can get to plague levels but I only really have seen this in new tanks without proper competition. Even then the only damage that they can really do is shade the coral. Blowing them off is easy and will stop the shading.

Once again they can only get a foothold on corals that have already suffered from something else.

My 2 cents.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back