Light diffusers for SPS......your experiences?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it works out for you, i'm considering getting the slight diffusers for my AP700

Not all diffusers are built the same -- BRS tested the AP700 diffuser and didn't have many positive things to say -- on the other hand, they loved the Radion diffuser.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(There’s no pur meter btw)

Seneye has PUR as well as PAR, how on the spot it is is unknown to be, but BRS was impressed

3734424_orig.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye has PUR as well as PAR, how on the spot it is is unknown to be, but BRS was impressed

3734424_orig.jpg
Dana is looking at it as well. It’s an estimate based on corals with general xooox requirements.

So in theory it won’t work for low light corals or highlight coral.

So far as much as I can tell , the only way to get it to 100% would be to remove all the middle spectrum we use for visuals. It would look like a pink grow light at 100% pur , if I’m not mistaken. So IMO. Misleading.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana is looking at it as well. It’s an estimate based on corals with general xooox requirements.

So in theory it won’t work for low light corals or highlight coral.

So far as much as I can tell , the only way to get it to 100% would be to remove all the middle spectrum we use for visuals. It would look like a pink grow light at 100% pur , if I’m not mistaken. So IMO. Misleading.

Possible, but aren't some of the peaks in chlorophyll in the reds and green as well? Does that fall into the middle spectrum or not so much?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, but aren't some of the peaks in chlorophyll in the reds and green as well? Does that fall into the middle spectrum or not so much?
In the red yes, G Y O no.

Red in most corals can be overdosed as well. In some other corals , V and some Blues can be overdosed.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the red yes, G Y O no.

Red in most corals can be overdosed as well. In some other corals , V and some Blues can be overdosed.

That's one of the main components behind the AB+ spectrum for Radion -- It's just a hair shy of 18k according to their spectrum slider (it's +1% on the whites, green, and red). And as we know, the AB+ is build on a bulb configuration of 8 blue+ and 2 ABS ati bulbs. THe first time I put in an ABS I was shocked how yellow and warm it was, it looks almost like a freshwater 7k planted light.

But those who implement them swear by 'em. There's something in that warm spectrum the corals love.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the main components behind the AB+ spectrum for Radion -- It's just a hair shy of 18k according to their spectrum slider (it's +1% on the whites, green, and red). And as we know, the AB+ is build on a bulb configuration of 8 blue+ and 2 ABS ati bulbs. THe first time I put in an ABS I was shocked how yellow and warm it was, it looks almost like a freshwater 7k planted light.

But those who implement them swear by 'em. There's something in that warm spectrum the corals love.
You are correct.
This is not 100% accurate (Esp coral to Coral) but it’s a good guide line.

D901AE30-BB9B-497C-AE1E-5115FD06558D.jpeg

IMO , that 660 has to include a bit broader range in the animals.

I also run warm in my tanks. Cuz I like it.

Also bear in mind you can mix any color temp a number of ways. By adding warmth or subtracting blue. Etc.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a quote from Ecotech in an advertisement I saw...let me dig up a link if I can find it again, but the source was Ecotech themselves.

edit:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1768456199831572&id=151328168211058
Reads "25% or less reduction in PAR" so probably depends on what area of the tank you're measuring to a point. Also, the reduced light spillage is BS IMO. Regardless, I will be turning up intensity a bit more than I originally thought, but gradually..

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my XR15 light diffuser coming in the mail. I’m pretty sold on the concept..makes sense. Just going have to grab me a PAR meter and dial it in. Was going to go the route of adding T-5’s but hoping this will do the job of weeding out hot spots and shadow casting on SPS.
How have you liked the diffusers so far? Has it improved the shadowing?

OP
OP
spspirate

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t added it yet but will have the reef up and rolling here in the next week. I will make sure to keep the thread posted of my observations.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back