Lightening Maroons Fighting Bad!!!!!

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paid of lightening maroons that I’ve had for almost a year in the same tank. I bought one and about a month or lll later decided I wanted a mate for it. They have been fine together in tank this whole time with the occasional “punk” of the bigger one and the smaller one would quiver. Well a few days ago I noticed the bigger one was chasing the other one non stop and the smaller one was no longer submitting and just running and trying to hide. He was getting beat up pretty bad so finally I put him in an acclimation box for a few days. While he was in the box the female still tried to get to him. Tonight I let him out and she immediately started chasing him again to the point that I thought she was going to kill him. This time I put her in the box. Why all of a sudden would this happen and what should I do to get them to get along again?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a paid of lightening maroons that I’ve had for almost a year in the same tank. I bought one and about a month or lll later decided I wanted a mate for it. They have been fine together in tank this whole time with the occasional “punk” of the bigger one and the smaller one would quiver. Well a few days ago I noticed the bigger one was chasing the other one non stop and the smaller one was no longer submitting and just running and trying to hide. He was getting beat up pretty bad so finally I put him in an acclimation box for a few days. While he was in the box the female still tried to get to him. Tonight I let him out and she immediately started chasing him again to the point that I thought she was going to kill him. This time I put her in the box. Why all of a sudden would this happen and what should I do to get them to get along again?
Let me get this straight: you had a pair of maroons and you added a 3rd one a month ago and they just started fighting now?

From what I’ve read: Maroon clowns are the MOST aggressive clownfish. It’s highly unlikely the pair will accept another competition in the tank. Seems normal.

I think the only solution is rehoming the 3rd one. Maroon clownfish do not give up their grudges. They won’t stop until they kill.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes ,larger "turning female " into box best option rt now, try again ,every few days under close observation.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ignore my reply

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i read it as got a pair but then goes onto explain that bought one then little bit over month later bought the 2nd so only 2 not 3 is what i read earlier.

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight: you had a pair of maroons and you added a 3rd one a month ago and they just started fighting now?

From what I’ve read: Maroon clowns are the MOST aggressive clownfish. It’s highly unlikely the pair will accept another competition in the tank. Seems normal.

I think the only solution is rehoming the 3rd one. Maroon clownfish do not give up their grudges. They won’t stop until they kill.
No. I bought the first one almost a year ago and added the second one a month later. They have been fine until about a week ago and they started fighting BAD!!! Up until now the one would always submit but now he won’t. He just runs and hides

OP
OP
W

wotis11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the OP has a third... At least that's not how I read it. He has a "paid" meaning "pair" and he bought one then a month or so later he got a second one. Now a year later they are fighting.
Exactly. You are correct

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you think the fighting is potentially so aggressive that the smaller is going to perish, then you’re going to have to rehome one or the other. Personally I’d rehome the larger (female most likely). Maroons are notoriously territorial and pugnacious. If you keep the smaller one, you likely can try adding another smaller one and see if those will pair up.

Female maroons tend to dominate and there might be all kinds of reasons why it turned so aggressive suddenly. Should you try to reintroduce your two original maroons again, understand the smaller one very well will not be accepted and be killed

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back