Lighting a 120- T5 or MH?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standard 120 being set up BB for strictly SPS.
I have a 48" ATI 8-bulb, and a 2x250 watt MH / 2x110 watt VHO I can use over the tank.
(I think I also have a couple of 400 watt MH ballasts I could use if I wanted to)
Lighting will be mounted in a canopy 18-24" above the water's surface.
Looking on opinions on which way to go.
TIA

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the MH, but really either of those choices is great. It sounds like you already have both, have you used them before? It’s really just personal preference since both of those options are proven winners. I’m not sure if the ATI fixtures are supposed to be used in a canopy. If heat is a concern you might err towards the T5 but either way the canopy will need to be vented. What reflectors do you have for the MH?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400w is too much, IMO. ...maybe for later if you need them.

The MH and VHO combo is still best-of-breed, IMO. The Super Actinic from UVL are a great bulb and you they are still produced even though their demise has been promised for a decade, or so.

Opinions will vary and only you can decide for sure. Do you want some shimmer? Do you want to leave the canopy closed without a fan (fan handled all of the heat without a chiller when I was in KC)?

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the MH, but really either of those choices is great. It sounds like you already have both, have you used them before? It’s really just personal preference since both of those options are proven winners. I’m not sure if the ATI fixtures are supposed to be used in a canopy. If heat is a concern you might err towards the T5 but either way the canopy will need to be vented. What reflectors do you have for the MH?
I have both lumenmax and lumen bright
Leaning towards using the lumen brights.
I would mount the ATI on top (outside) the hood
I've used them both, like them both.
That's part of the problem lol

OP
OP
tigé21v

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400w is too much, IMO. ...maybe for later if you need them.

The MH and VHO combo is still best-of-breed, IMO. The Super Actinic from UVL are a great bulb and you they are still produced even though their demise has been promised for a decade, or so.

Opinions will vary and only you can decide for sure. Do you want some shimmer? Do you want to leave the canopy closed without a fan (fan handled all of the heat without a chiller when I was in KC)?
I really like the MH/VHO, especially at elevated heights, enclosed in a canopy. It seems like the light has a chance to bounce around inside the canopy and hit the tank with a nice, even illumination
Ive never put an ATI in a canopy, not sure if I would have the same results with a T5 fixture.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep the T5 closer... same with the VHOs. You can hang a ATI from the inside of the canopy and then you can move it around.

Not much light is going to bounce around inside of a canopy unless you put relfectors all over it. The MH in the reflectors offers a very balanced look since they have more room to bounce around.

My Halides are up a bit at about 10-12 inches from water to the bulb, but I keep the VHOs about inches off of the water. I just run the VHOs for a few hours before and after the halides - I turn them off when the Halides are running since I cannot really tell that they are on, I don't need more output and I can just save the electricity.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back