Lighting for a 100g tank

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the waterbox reef 100.3 with the dimensions of ( 35.4"×23.6"×21.7" ).
My question is what would be the best lighting for a wall to wall sps tank, currently looking into ( 2 ) ai hydra 32hds, or ( 2 ) Radion XR15 G5 blue.

I do want a 4ft frag tank 105 g but with it being so long I'm going to need to at least spend another $800 on lighting which is out of my budget. Unless there is a cheaper option of lighting that works amazing.

Please let me know what would be best, Thanks.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Kessil AP9x would be a really good option for that size tank, plus just one fixture to deal with.
what about the frag 105 g which is
( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ) would that light not be enough for wall to wall sps ?

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about the frag 105 g which is
( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ) would that light not be enough for wall to wall sps ?
Wall to wall SPS is probably pushing it for any single fixture in or around that price point.

If it's just a frag tank that isn't for display I would think seriously about getting one of those Amazon 4ft 6 bulb T5 fixtures. That would provide amazing coverage and enough light to grow anything.

I think Tidal Gardens actually had a video series where they used those fixtures. You could buy a LOT of T5 bulbs for what it would cost to light that same size area with LED's.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wall to wall SPS is probably pushing it for any single fixture in or around that price point.

If it's just a frag tank that isn't for display I would think seriously about getting one of those Amazon 4ft 6 bulb T5 fixtures. That would provide amazing coverage and enough light to grow anything.

I think Tidal Gardens actually had a video series where they used those fixtures. You could buy a LOT of T5 bulbs for what it would cost to light that same size area with LED's.
thanks for helping me really appreciate it, but if my goal was a wall to wall sps display in the
( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ) what would be the go to lighting ?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the waterbox reef 100.3 with the dimensions of ( 35.4"×23.6"×21.7" ).
My question is what would be the best lighting for a wall to wall sps tank, currently looking into ( 2 ) ai hydra 32hds, or ( 2 ) Radion XR15 G5 blue.

I do want a 4ft frag tank 105 g but with it being so long I'm going to need to at least spend another $800 on lighting which is out of my budget. Unless there is a cheaper option of lighting that works amazing.

36 X 24 X 22 = 19008/231
19008/231 = 82 Gallons

Are you counting the sump?

EJReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that the reef breeders lights are good for sps, and they aren’t crazy expensive.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my money I would get this.

But I don't really have personal experience with it, and I'm not sure what mounting options there are. It looks like the BRS team was pretty positive about it.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI 32 HDs would work. Their lighting tends to be higher in the center and less so on the fringes. I have AI 24s and AI 48s on my tank and they work fine. Mine have also been plugging along for years. The drawbacks can be managed. AIs are easy to control. You can control each channel by intensity for each time of the day. You can get pretty much the spectrum and look that you want.

From my reading the Radions have a much more even lighting than AI. It is my understanding that Radions are pretty much the gold standard In LED lighting. AI is less expensive (but not cheap) and pretty good.

Bulk Reef Supply has a potload of videos on LED lights and they have some pretty extensive discussions of AI and Radion lights and probably any other the other name brand lights you might care to think of.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Metal halide is still considered the best option. Probably followed by T5 hybrid and kessil according to BRS.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wall to wall SPS and LEDs is going to cost a fortune for most. 2 XR30s is the minimum to cover a 36x24 area. Each XR30 is really only good for a 24x18 area.

If it was me and I had to light 2 tanks on a budget, I would be looking at T5s or halides. You get way more bang for your buck.

For example: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/36-sunpower-6-x-39w-light-fixture-open-box-ati-lighting-2.html

$600 and you have one of the best lights on the market. Nearly 2 decades of proven results.

My Reef Brite reflectors cover a 32x24 area extremely well. Easily one of the best lights I have used in 16 years and I have used just about everything. You are around $500 for reflector, ballast, and bulb.

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my money I would get this.

But I don't really have personal experience with it, and I'm not sure what mounting options there are. It looks like the BRS team was pretty positive about it.

do you think this will work with a 4ft long tank ?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about wall to wall sps but when I do my 100G mixed reef I plan on using

2 AI 32’s and 1 or 2 xho reefbrite led bars. Will start with 1 led bar and might get a second as things grow in.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at and using a few different lights over the last year. My vote(s) would be Kessils. You could go with 6 160's, 3 360x's, or some combo and do a reefbirght fill.. Personally lean to the 4 to 6 160's... and if you dont like that much flickering, add the Reef Bright or a 3 foot t5. 6 x $239 = $1434

As an alternative, and I dont have experience with them yet. is to wait for the Neptune Sky.. I have been hearing more than enough positives to allow me to lean in that direction. I think you would need 2. 2 x 869 = $1738.

If its a Waterbox, you paid a premium already.. so good lights might be worth it.. SPS and all considered.. Dont skimp on lights.

My experience with AI is the disco ball effect.. I like flicker but not in multicolor. It is mild compared to Reefbreeders in my experience.. Orphek Is better.. dont know why.. but.. it is.. For some reason, I see it and can almost tell what light a person is using just by the flicker. I might be sensitized to it too.. Dont get me wrong, every light mentioned should work.. But getting it all up front might be beneficial. And some are better than others. What kind of budget are you looking at?

OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at and using a few different lights over the last year. My vote(s) would be Kessils. You could go with 6 160's, 3 360x's, or some combo and do a reefbirght fill.. Personally lean to the 4 to 6 160's... and if you dont like that much flickering, add the Reef Bright or a 3 foot t5. 6 x $239 = $1434

As an alternative, and I dont have experience with them yet. is to wait for the Neptune Sky.. I have been hearing more than enough positives to allow me to lean in that direction. I think you would need 2. 2 x 869 = $1738.

If its a Waterbox, you paid a premium already.. so good lights might be worth it.. SPS and all considered.. Dont skimp on lights.

My experience with AI is the disco ball effect.. I like flicker but not in multicolor. It is mild compared to Reefbreeders in my experience.. Orphek Is better.. dont know why.. but.. it is.. For some reason, I see it and can almost tell what light a person is using just by the flicker. I might be sensitized to it too.. Dont get me wrong, every light mentioned should work.. But getting it all up front might be beneficial. And some are better than others. What kind of budget are you looking at?
my budget for lights are around $1000 but tbh I like as few lights as possible with the semi space i have. My dream tank is measured at
( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ) and looking into things i saw that a reefbreeder 48 would do the trick but i believe in to good to be true as in it being a little bit cheaper than average but ay i can be completely wrong. I just dont want to spend more or close to how much my full tank cost.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my budget for lights are around $1000 but tbh I like as few lights as possible with the semi space i have. My dream tank is measured at
( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ) and looking into things i saw that a reefbreeder 48 would do the trick but i believe in to good to be true as in it being a little bit cheaper than average but ay i can be completely wrong. I just dont want to spend more or close to how much my full tank cost.
I would then look at t5 and LED fills. t5 is proven to grow corals and is relatively inexpensive up front. For fills, you can pick any number of LED puck styles or smaller fields/panels (G5 style) of LED. Otherwise.. AI 32's x 3 as a start.. If you want to go really cheap.. Black Boxes work.. though.. not my style personally.

In the end, you are going to get a lot of opinions. IF SPS is your goal, going cheap is going to make it harder. If mixed you can get away with a lot less, depending on your coral choices... SPS is the specialized thing it is, partly due to cost, SPS corals equals lights.. cheap ones can get you by but.. those costing more will help you thrive. My 2 cents worth.. It isnt much but, I like my opinions.., :) I guess I would go look at real tanks, not photos, of the examples you think you want to use.

OK some of my other takaways.. Metal Halides.. bulbs are getting scarce and coswt to run and heat are becomeing non-negotiable.

t5 is fantastic but lack contrast. AB+ is the standard light.. especially if you like blue and washed out fish colors. Yet as a fill, you cant beat them.. not even with reef brights in my opinion.

this leaves us with LED, High cost Mod cost or low cost options.

Low cost leaves some desires in usability and safety (black boxes). There are other low cost options that wont fill your bill at all.

Mod cost.. Both puck style and strip style and panels. Puck and panels for SPS are your best options. Pucks tend to lower Par levels. but offer some fabulous looks in the tank.. Also tend to be more contrasty as they dont have the spread of a panel light. thus use multiples..
Panels have less contrast and higher par levels but often give a poor look to a tank with shimmer.. (lack shimmer or disco effect) They tand to be costing on the higher end as well.

High end lights like upcoming Sky, G5's and Kessil multi puck lights are showing these companies are learning some lessons. They do well with par, spread and flexabilty of use.

I watched the BRS vid on Reefbreaders and have to say.. Not my cup of tea. hot strip down the middle and nothing front and back.. thus going to be heavy contrast especially when stuff starts growing in.. In order to get the par low enough, you are going to have to come way down in power to keep from burning coraqls even at the higher mounting heights which will almost shut the front and back of the tank down. Might work ok on an 18 inch wide tank or like a 55 gallon but not on 24 inch width.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJSins

JJSins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would then look at t5 and LED fills. t5 is proven to grow corals and is relatively inexpensive up front. For fills, you can pick any number of LED puck styles or smaller fields/panels (G5 style) of LED. Otherwise.. AI 32's x 3 as a start.. If you want to go really cheap.. Black Boxes work.. though.. not my style personally.

In the end, you are going to get a lot of opinions. IF SPS is your goal, going cheap is going to make it harder. If mixed you can get away with a lot less, depending on your coral choices... SPS is the specialized thing it is, partly due to cost, SPS corals equals lights.. cheap ones can get you by but.. those costing more will help you thrive. My 2 cents worth.. It isnt much but, I like my opinions.., :) I guess I would go look at real tanks, not photos, of the examples you think you want to use.

OK some of my other takaways.. Metal Halides.. bulbs are getting scarce and coswt to run and heat are becomeing non-negotiable.

t5 is fantastic but lack contrast. AB+ is the standard light.. especially if you like blue and washed out fish colors. Yet as a fill, you cant beat them.. not even with reef brights in my opinion.

this leaves us with LED, High cost Mod cost or low cost options.

Low cost leaves some desires in usability and safety (black boxes). There are other low cost options that wont fill your bill at all.

Mod cost.. Both puck style and strip style and panels. Puck and panels for SPS are your best options. Pucks tend to lower Par levels. but offer some fabulous looks in the tank.. Also tend to be more contrasty as they dont have the spread of a panel light. thus use multiples..
Panels have less contrast and higher par levels but often give a poor look to a tank with shimmer.. (lack shimmer or disco effect) They tand to be costing on the higher end as well.

High end lights like upcoming Sky, G5's and Kessil multi puck lights are showing these companies are learning some lessons. They do well with par, spread and flexabilty of use.

I watched the BRS vid on Reefbreaders and have to say.. Not my cup of tea. hot strip down the middle and nothing front and back.. thus going to be heavy contrast especially when stuff starts growing in.. In order to get the par low enough, you are going to have to come way down in power to keep from burning coraqls even at the higher mounting heights which will almost shut the front and back of the tank down. Might work ok on an 18 inch wide tank or like a 55 gallon but not on 24 inch width.
Thank you so much for that information really helps, I'm starting to realize that my goal is gonna be a pretty Penny which I am all for it knowing if I invest now into a permanent tank.

My goal tank is a waterbox frag 105.4g which I have said a handful of times haha. But the dimensions of the tank is ( 47.2"×23.6"×16.1" ). Having a wall to wall sps tank will be a dream and investing in the right stuff will get me there. Knowing all the stuff you know about sps, lights, and all around care for the tank, what would you go with on lighting for a wall to wall sps tank. I'm looking for an amazing display.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back