• ATI Powermodule

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to be setting up a new tank 36"x36"x24" and did not know what type of lighting to use. The tank is going to be mostly lps with some zoas. I was thinking of going with a 250 watt radium w/ a good reflector(reflector and ballast suggestions would be great) or a 6x39 watt ATI Powermodule. So what light would you go with? And Why?

Thanks for any help
Christopher

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the ATI because I've had the best luck with the colors in my acans under t5's. If you were going to do sps than I would've said the radium, but if its only acans and zoas then I would stick with the t5's!

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the Powermodule. You would have an so many options for bulb combos. I think you will be more than happy with the powermodule

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go T5 and run plenty of blue and maybe some actinic bulbs or a fiji to give your corals nice color

i run an 8 bulb retro T5 icecap on the same size tank and have plenty of light - although i play a lot with combos i'm currently running - 4 blues 2 actinics and 2 aquablues
(you can check my thread to see what it looks like)

many lps people seem to like the fiji bulb so maybe 4 blues 1 aquablue and 1 fiji or
3 blues 2 actinics and 1 aquablue

can't go wrong with T5's - many choices in bulbs

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Right now I have a 12 bulb 8 blue plus and 4 Fiji purple over my 100gal 72"x18"x18" tank. I am selling this setup and getting out of SPS for now but I am sure I will want SPS again someday. Maybe I will have to do a retro t5. I guess the only thing that was holding me back from the ATI was the price. I was thinking that the radium could give me good light for a lot cheaper price up front and about the same price to run. I love T5s and the diffrent color combos I can have. What would be the best retro t5s to use?
Or is the ATI worth the extra money over a retro t5.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a long time since I have used a retro kit. But the numbers do not lie, these ATI fixtures kick tushie. You could look into getting a sunpower fixture over the powermodule. I have seen quite a few fixtures and nothing compares to the reflectors on the ATI.

I think your only problem is going to be the 36" of depth. It is going to be hard to get the coverage from anything less than an 8 bulb fixture I think, unless you raise it up high enough. It might not be such a bad Idea to go with a retro so you can space the bulbs out some and get better coverage. Just please do not overdrive the bulbs, you will shorten the life of the bulbs and change the spectrum(I have made that mistake and was not happy with the bulb color at all)

Something like this might work, http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_2_Retrofit_Kits/36_inch__6x39W_Tek_2_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply . This one includes bulbs, but there is one without also.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the ATI numbers and the fixtures themselfs and they are by far the best T5 fixtures I have seen. I was trying to to cut cost and time spent on my tank. So I don't realy want to go up to 8 bulbs. Does any one have or know where I can see some pics with just 20k MH? I realy love my t5s but replacing 12 bulbs a year is costing $250. I am not straped for money and still have enough time to care for the tank. I am 24 working trying to start my life and make a good living and I just want to put that in front of my tank right now. Saving money for a house and stuff. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to set up my plumbing and sump to make water changes more simple and take less time.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with pics online is they never look like that in person. I would see if there is anyone local who is using the radiums.

As far as water changes, a friend of mine plumbed in ball valves and fittings to connect to a hose. He can just flip the valve and pump out the old and then flip another and pump in new.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results with the Radium MH Bulbs. Compared to replacing 4-6 T5s they are a wash but have given me great look with good growth. Lumatec makes a great reflector and you would be happy with theirs or an icecap ballast

Personally I'm partial to the Cree LED:bigsmile: Within a couple of years they pay for themselves.

Bill

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results with the Radium MH Bulbs. Compared to replacing 4-6 T5s they are a wash but have given me great look with good growth. Lumatec makes a great reflector and you would be happy with theirs or an icecap ballast

Personally I'm partial to the Cree LED:bigsmile: Within a couple of years they pay for themselves.

Bill

Yeah LEDs would be sweet. But I would need what? 96 LEDs that would cost me around $1000. I dont have the money to do that. Unless you want to give me a good deal :bigsmile:

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many T5 fixtures do you plan on running?
36x36 is a large area to cover even with an 8 lamp unit.

I would think maybe 2 of them or at least 2 - 6 lamp units.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah LEDs would be sweet. But I would need what? 96 LEDs that would cost me around $1000. I dont have the money to do that. Unless you want to give me a good deal :bigsmile:

15% off LEDs this month and free shipping on kits.

2 MH bulbs plus shipping is close to $180 a year, plus 2 ballasts $250 and 2 LumenMax reflectors $300 ($730 total) add two more years of bulb replacement and you are in the Black:bigsmile: Not to mention 60-70% less electricity and no heat.

Bill

Last edited:

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go T5 and run plenty of blue and maybe some actinic bulbs or a fiji to give your corals nice color

i run an 8 bulb retro T5 icecap on the same size tank and have plenty of light - although i play a lot with combos i'm currently running - 4 blues 2 actinics and 2 aquablues
(you can check my thread to see what it looks like)

many lps people seem to like the fiji bulb so maybe 4 blues 1 aquablue and 1 fiji or
3 blues 2 actinics and 1 aquablue

can't go wrong with T5's - many choices in bulbs

i have to take this back, even though i know from experience that 8 T5's will light your tank, as would a 400W radium in a large reflector
- i love my T5's and have been a huge proponent of them for the last two years - but i was just contemplating another bulb change coming up and it got me thinking, that and bill's threads on this forum and the numerous ones i've been reading on rc.

check out this thread about page 17 - the pic with the 2 halides compared to 1 LED array of 36 3W LED's

LED build and PAR readings (pic intensive) - Page 15 - Reef Central Online Community

i've spent the last week reading everything i could find and decided i'm going to go LED - i am working with bill right now on an array to get me started and then i will tweek it to meet the needs of my tank with your same dimensions
the numbers just plain add up and i like green tech even if it didn't ....
a lot of options these days.... tough choice you have ahead of you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back