Lighting ideas for shallow propagation system?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the space-starved country that is Japan, I'm planning a tiered system to hold the tons of Zoanthids I've found myself with, and to propagate more. I plan on getting a custom stand made to hold multiple 120x60x12cm frag tanks (10cm water depth). Yes, it's really shallow, but that's 1) because it'll only be Zoanthids and 2) because I want to maximize how many I can have in a ~2m tall rack. I'm aiming for ~200 PAR across the entire area.

The challenge I'm finding myself with in the design phase is lighting. Since the depth is so shallow, I'm wanting maximum spread with minimal mounting height. In fact, I'm hoping to mount only ~20cm above the aquarium. There are tons of LED strip options (ReefBrite, Giesemann, AI, ReefBreeders, Quantum, VolxJapan, ADA, GEX, and lots of black boxes on Amazon) and of course, T5's. The problem is that for some reason, most manufacturers haven't indicated the optics on their bars. I'm obviously trying to get the widest angle possible. Plus, I'm not sure what T5 spread is either!

So, suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Last edited:

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the space-starved country that is Japan, I'm planning a tiered system to hold the tons of Zoanthids I've found myself with, and to propagate more. I plan on getting a custom stand made to hold multiple 120x60x12cm frag tanks (10cm water depth). Yes, it's really shallow, but that's 1) because it'll only be Zoanthids and 2) because I want to maximize how many I can have in a ~2m tall rack. I'm aiming for ~200 PAR across the entire area.

The challenge I'm finding myself with in the design phase is lighting. Since the depth is so shallow, I'm wanting maximum spread with minimal mounting height. In fact, I'm hoping to mount only ~10cm above the aquarium. There are tons of LED strip options (ReefBrite, Giesemann, AI, ReefBreeders, Quantum, VolxJapan, ADA, GEX, and lots of black boxes on Amazon) and of course, T5's. The problem is that for some reason, most manufacturers haven't indicated the optics on their bars. I'm obviously trying to get the widest angle possible. Plus, I'm not sure what T5 spread is either!

So, suggestions are welcome, thanks!
At that water height, you won’t need much par to get things going. Maybe even just a cheap Amazon 2 bulb T5 fixture, or a single Quanta bar at the right height to cover the 24” depth. Even if the spread isn’t wide, with water that shallow you can probably lift most strip lights or fixtures up until you get good coverage without light spilling out of the tank.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that water height, you won’t need much par to get things going. Maybe even just a cheap Amazon 2 bulb T5 fixture, or a single Quanta bar at the right height to cover the 24” depth. Even if the spread isn’t wide, with water that shallow you can probably lift most strip lights or fixtures up until you get good coverage without light spilling out of the tank.
Right, except like I mentioned, there is not much vertical space (20cm above tank, 22 cm above the surface). Hence the challenge. but I agree that some basic T5 fixtures are probably my best bet. Or these. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prism-ii-led-light-fixture-marine-aquamaxx.html

Last edited:

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think Josh Pork Sandwich grows zoas in a similar setup with little vertical space and uses a lot of T5. The only issue could potentially be heat, depending on how warm the room is already.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I’ll probably only have 12cm vertical space.

Sides will get natural sunlight but good idea

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think Josh Pork Sandwich grows zoas in a similar setup with little vertical space and uses a lot of T5. The only issue could potentially be heat, depending on how warm the room is already.
Nothing a few fans can’t take care of, thanks

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Blades and the Fluval Marine 3.0 strips advertise 120 degree spread. You could easily cover the 24" width of your tank with 2 strips at the 5" or so mounting height. And, with water that shallow, PAR shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Blades and the Fluval Marine 3.0 strips advertise 120 degree spread. You could easily cover the 24" width of your tank with 2 strips at the 5" or so mounting height. And, with water that shallow, PAR shouldn't be a problem.
Huh I saw 90 degrees for the blade But good to know, and I'll check out the fluval thanks.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, except like I mentioned, there is not much vertical space (20cm above tank, 22 cm above the surface). Hence the challenge. but I agree that some basic T5 fixtures are probably my best bet. Or these. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/prism-ii-led-light-fixture-marine-aquamaxx.html
Most small 1/2w led strip lights have about 120 degree on diode lenses. There are a few exceptions.
A cheap Beamswork 48" da- fspec in err " marine configuration ( mostly white some blue, no red,green, approx 10000k or greater) will push 100 par at like 5" (4 plus riser).
You would want 2 for more even coverage at 60cm anyways.
I'm m suggesting the concept not the part. light btw.

Another light fitting the concept .
Another example.

Hi Beverly,
Sorry for the late response. These numbers are the light at MAX. The PAR value is 40 and Lumen value is 1530. Hope this help.
Howard

This is at 19 inches above the sub.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh I saw 90 degrees for the blade But good to know, and I'll check out the fluval thanks.

The Blade is 95° technically but they don’t react like other LEDs that use lenses to focus the light. For example, Orphek bars need to be mounted 22” over the tank to reduce the hotspots. Most AI fixtures need 14” over the water.

The Blades range from tank mounted to 8” above the water with little to no hot spots.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back