Lighting Question

mdcmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be going from a simple on/off 8 hour light schedule to a ramp up/full spectrum/ramp down cycle on my kessil lights. What is the best way to go about the switch? Is all at once going to be best or some sort of gradual switch? The tank has sps, lps, softies, fish, and a big nem

OP
OP
mdcmonster

mdcmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an issue ramping. I would just make the switch. Are you changing the light source or photo period?

Yes to the photoperiod. Ideally the lights will be on longer so the tank gets a “full day” and cycle of light as opposed to just a quick 8 hours of intensity. I have them come on at 11am and they go out at 7pm currently (although the tank gets a good amount of natural light indirectly). I want to use the new kessil controller I purchased to have them start a ramp up around 8am, hit full intensity around 11 until 5 and then ramp down until about 7 or 8.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be just fine. The adjusted photo period is actually less than the original 8 hours. The additional time ramping up and down are a bonus for you. More time to enjoy the tank.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed-should be good. even if you were going a tad longer with the photo period, the ramping isnt anything to worry about. If it was a change in spectrum or intensity, then you would want to acclimate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back