Lighting that won't need upgrading

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to reefing and would like some advice on lighting a 29 gallon aquarium. I plan to start with soft corals and lps then eventually sps but just want get the light that will allow me to go from soft corals to sps without having to upgrade a bunch of times. If I absolutely have to upgrade I would like an option that allows me to build on the light that was already purchased if that makes sense.
Any Advice?

I would prefer something that doesn't have to be hung from the ceiling if possible.

30x12X18 LxWxH Forgot to add dimensions.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank dimensions and budget?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of these should cover you for everything

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any light, including any LEDs, can be a definitive light for your system for a "long period (which became very relative in the hobby lately!) of time", as long as it works and you are "happy" with it, as many actually tend to say. Now... do LEDs degrade? YES! Do LEDs brake in many ways? YES. And do they need replacements after those things happen? Of course! Will you most likely get an upgrade, or will simply fix the old fixture? You will most likely buy another more exciting new version of LED that everybody is talking about, right? That is what happens! And that's why the trend is to look for the next one in line. It's a powerful maketing that works and have been sponsoring this social media in a way that the new generation sees as the norm. There is better options.

Get a 4 bulb ATI T5 Sunpower and be absolutely happy forever then.
Changing bulbs every year is cheaper and better than changing LEDs relatively often for a lot more money. T5s will give much better quality lighting.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any light, including any LEDs, can be a definitive light for your system for a "long period (which became very relative in the hobby lately!) of time", as long as it works and you are "happy" with it, as many actually tend to say. Now... do LEDs degrade? YES! Do LEDs brake in many ways? YES. And do they need replacements after those things happen? Of course! Will you most likely get an upgrade, or will simply fix the old fixture? You will most likely buy another more exciting new version of LED that everybody is talking about, right? That is what happens! And that's why the trend is to look for the next one in line. It's a powerful maketing that works and have been sponsoring this social media in a way that the new generation sees as the norm. There is better options.

Changing bulbs every year is cheaper and better than changing LEDs relatively often for a lot more money. T5s will give much better quality lighting.
You make some great points and yes I would upgrade after a fixture has broken but just didn't want to buy a fixture and couple of months later have to buy another one to replace the one I purchased because I didn't get the one need to grow say sps coral. I like t5s but don't like the fact you have to replace every year.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with this. A 4 bulb ati t5 in that tank will grow everything. You can also pic your color with bulb combos. Super easy. Pic a color temp you like and slap 4 bulbs in there. Set it and forget it.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like so far the majority says ATI T5 4 bulb but do they make one that fits my tank? I've only seen 36 inches and above, I need to go search for them and see if they do and how much it would cost with bulbs and all.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like so far the majority says ATI T5 4 bulb but do they make one that fits my tank? I've only seen 36 inches and above, I need to go search for them and see if they do and how much it would cost with bulbs and all.
Your tank is on the odd size. You will need the 24".
If you can get a 40 breeder, 36"X 18"X 16", you will get the 36" 6 or 8 bulb fixture and that will be amazing!!!!

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back