Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I posted this In the wrong place previously so here it goes again

So I'll be setting up (no time soon as the money for this tank has to be saved up with an emergency fund for malfunctions) a Lagoon 25 and I want programmable LEDs. I'll have corals and fish so I want something that will mimic the natural daylight cycle with some awesome blues for nighttime. Suggestions? I have scoured the interwebs only to come up more confused then before I started researching lol my budget is around $300 the tanks cost so far is at $3000 (I'm going all out for the first tank ) so $300 really is the limit for lights.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$3000 budget, but only $300 for lights? Usually the lights are by far, the most expensive thing on the tank, especially since it sounds like you want the cadillac version of lights.

I don't know how you spent $2700 on a 25 gallon tank, but it seems very excessive to me.

I would suggest to check out AI Prime 16, its the lower cost 'quality' light, but it costs slightly more than $300 and might not be strong enough to light the bottom of a 25 gallon tank, depends how deep the tank is.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$3000 budget, but only $300 for lights? Usually the lights are by far, the most expensive thing on the tank, especially since it sounds like you want the cadillac version of lights.

I don't know how you spent $2700 on a 25 gallon tank, but it seems very excessive to me.

I would suggest to check out AI Prime 16, its the lower cost 'quality' light, but it costs slightly more than $300 and might not be strong enough to light the bottom of a 25 gallon tank, depends how deep the tank is.
I haven't spent anything on the tank yet but I want the best of the best and this is my list....what's it matter how much I wanna spend on my tank lol? And yes the budget calls for 300 for lights. I also have a partner with worries so I'm taking extra precautions with extra safety measures.

the nuvo fusion 25 pro tank and stand is almost $700
Tunze ATO and Powerhead together is $500
a reservoir for the ATO is like $120
Lighting is $300 well that's what I'm budgeting for it.
apex controller is $600

If you add all the other odds and ends, salinity meter, siphon, buckets and stuff you need for a fish tank it adds up pretty quickly plus I have to get an RO system for my water

Easily $3000 lol

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to rethink your budgeting. Lights are one of the most important pieces of equipment you will purchase. It does not make sense to splurge on high end stuff everywhere but go cheap on lighting.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Prime 16 doesn't have enough coverage for an IM25L. Needs 2.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 90g with lights for $1000. Apex on a 25g seems like lipstick on a pig to me also.

If you want the "best of the best" your focus should be on the lighting. Not the box of water, the stand it sits on, or making already simple water changes even easier.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I think I posted this In the wrong place previously so here it goes again

So I'll be setting up (no time soon as the money for this tank has to be saved up with an emergency fund for malfunctions) a Lagoon 25 and I want programmable LEDs. I'll have corals and fish so I want something that will mimic the natural daylight cycle with some awesome blues for nighttime. Suggestions? I have scoured the interwebs only to come up more confused then before I started researching lol my budget is around $300 the tanks cost so far is at $3000 (I'm going all out for the first tank ) so $300 really is the limit for lights.
Aqua illumination Prime hd will serve well as will a noopsyche pro

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the Tunze 3155 ~$200 and a cheaper powerhead like a Jebao for under $100. This frees up $200 for lighting. A Reefbreeders Photon V2-24" is $570 and would work great with that tank. Or 2x primes for $500 to stay on budget.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the Tunze 3155 ~$200 and a cheaper powerhead like a Jebao for under $100. This frees up $200 for lighting. A Reefbreeders Photon V2-24" is $570 and would work great with that tank. Or 2x primes for $500 to stay on budget.
I've had a couple of other people suggests the primes as well :)

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you simply laughing at me and not offering suggestions on what I could do better you can kindly find yourself another feed.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to rethink your budgeting. Lights are one of the most important pieces of equipment you will purchase. It does not make sense to splurge on high end stuff everywhere but go cheap on lighting.
well, I've also posted this list on Facebook (saltwater aquarium page) and the people over there are being a bit more helpful than those just laughing at the post on here (not you) lol. I may forgo the controller for right now so I can have more for my lighting.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you simply laughing at me and not offering suggestions on what I could do better you can kindly find yourself another feed.
Didn't mean for it to come off that way, so I apologize if it did. With current budget shown I would skip the apex and put that toward lighting. One AP9X would give you everything you want in a light and you'll never think about needing to upgrade.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't mean for it to come off that way, so I apologize if it did. With current budget shown I would skip the apex and put that toward lighting. One AP9X would give you everything you want in a light and you'll never think about needing to upgrade.
Thank you because it did come off that way....I'm new and trying to figure this stuff out. I've also heard a couple ppl say those were good lights too. :)

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank is an ongoing project, I agree with the others, putting the Apex controller and ATO res on your B list and spend more on lighting up front. As mentioned also the Jebao pumps typically work very well for the price!

I just installed a Tunze 3155 after much research here and love it! I run a ~$12 Home Depot tote for the reservoir to start and will upgrade as $/wife permits :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

And welcome to the hobby!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a huge fan of Primes myself, but they make sense for a lot of people and tanks.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you because it did come off that way....I'm new and trying to figure this stuff out. I've also heard a couple ppl say those were good lights too. :)
Biggest misconception for new reefers is that everything needs to be perfect and all equipment is a must. This hobby isn't as hard as its made out to be, and the BRS videos are designed to make you buy things.

OP
OP
Dezbian

Dezbian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank is an ongoing project, I agree with the others, putting the Apex controller and ATO res on your B list and spend more on lighting up front. As mentioned also the Jebao pumps typically work very well for the price!

I just installed a Tunze 3155 after much research here and love it! I run a ~$12 Home Depot tote for the reservoir to start and will upgrade as $/wife permits :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

And welcome to the hobby!
thank you lol! I heard really good things about the Tunze stuff which is why I picked it are the Jebaos adjustable too? and mine keeps looking at all my research like she's going to tell me No never mind no tank lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back