Limited in El Centro, CA

kashbrook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the kind welcome. I am on a limited budget (who isn't right?), but I know it's too late to walk away from the hobby. This is the first year I've actually attempted and succeeded in maintaining live coral. It isn't much, but it is a thrill to have something. So I'll back up a bit to give a brief history.

My first salt water tank was in the Republic of Panama around 1994. I would go to the Caribbean (Atlantic) or Pacific side to get fresh ocean water to fill my 55 gallon tank with. It had a 20 gallon sump with bio balls, white floss and a black carbon sheet. With no previous experience "working" knowledge I would go SCUBA diving and catch a small fish and place it in my tank. After a couple months (if it survived my ignorance) I would place it back in the ocean in the same spot I go it from if I could. I know it wasn't a good idea, but I was intrigued. Eventually the Panama Canal was returned to the Panamanian government (1972 treaty) so my tour there was over. I ended up getting rid of everything. I only wish I had kept all the notes I wrote about each fish or mollusk.

It wasn't until 2009 that I purchased another 55 gallon tank. At first my wife was not happy seeing how expensive it was up front. After about a year I stepped up the stock from damselfish to my first hermit crab - Mr Crabs. I didn't realize the red demon would grow so big (bigger than my hand spread out!) and become so destructive (turning over live rock, eating my first coral and some fish). I would have returned him to the LPS but my wife became attached so we kept him for two years when he went to sleep with the fishes. I bought a new T5 HO light fixture, purchased a few more live rocks and starting buying a couple of coral fragments at the end of last year. So I am thrilled that I now have two types of zoanthids (green lantern & fire and ice I think), a rock full of pulsing xenias, a purple mushroom, and a frogspawn.

I have used the same Fluval 305 canister all along. The water parameters seem to be good so I am fairly content. I want to learn how to make things better, but like I mentioned I just don't make or have a lot of money. I'll see about posting some pictures once I become better acquainted as to what goes where on this forum. Thanks for your time. :yo:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that having live rock is the best investment of money. It's a natural filtration for the tank and will never break or need to be replaced. Good luck!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps and two clownfish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story man! We all start out reefing by doing something stupid. That is kinda funny that if the fish survived you would go put them back in the same spot lol! If you didnt live on the other side of the country I would definitely send you some frags!

Welcome by the way!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back