Lined Seahorse Fry

Msrere386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. We’re supposed in here but I figure I need some help. So I have this journey of seahorses that I’ve been doing. Since March 2021. I have a 10 gallon dwarf seahorse tank and a 40 gallon lined seahorse tank. So here’s the history:

when I first bought my lined seahorses, the male was already pregnant and gave birth like, two days after I got Them. I did not know what to do, the babies seemed to be swimming happily and then I saw they were reducing in numbers over the course of a week…took lots of homework needed for me to realize some were sucked into the filter, some I think starved b/c the tank was so big and I think they didn’t get their brine shrimp like they needed to. I think i was still struggling with the water levels at that time as well, so unfortunately they all died.

Then he had more I want to say…two months ago? this brood seemed different. Weaker. He did not have as many as the first time, and it seemed like a lot of those fry fell straight to the ground and were struggling to swim.

let me backtrack just a little bit… Before he had his second brood, switching over to my dwarfs, they started having their own success… I lost track of how many times they’ve had babies and many are there and they all seem to be doing fine. Water levels are perfect… So of course I thought I knew what I was doing and I also read that fry can go into the dwarf tank as well because it’s smaller right?

OK, back to the 2nd brood of the lined seahorses, the ones that were swimming, I moved into the dwarf tank and I tried to save a few that weren’t swimming well but they ultimately died. Now, I probably won’t know until I see some horses that are bigger than the others, but I’m pretty sure the few that made it to the dwaef tank died as well.

So now my current issue is that he had a third brood earlier this week and same thing as a second time… Only about six or seven were actually able to swim while the others struggled on the ground, I moved them, and now there are 4 that I’ve seen consistently swimming in the dwarf tank.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. Why are they coming out weak and unable to swim? What are they dying within a week of birth? Both tanks have maintained perfect water levels. PH between 8.2 and 8.4, ammonia and nitrites zero, and when I tested the dwarf tank the other day before moving the babies in there, the nitrates were at zero. I did attempt to set up a small tank just for the baby fry but I’m sure I did it too quick and it has not gotten to cycle because I tested that water yesterday and the ammonia and nitrites were bad so I did not put them in there. But I’m like, my dwarf fry are fine…what’s going on with my commons?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef...:)
what are you feeding adults ?
what are you feeding fry ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Msrere386

Msrere386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef...:)
what are you feeding adults ?
what are you feeding fry ?
I got so long winded that I forgot those details. The dwarfs and the baby fry eat live baby brine shrimp that I hatch. The adults eat 2 cubes of frozen mysis and sometimes I add in a third cube of adult frozen brine shrimp or the frozen spirulina brine shrimp mix. Usually do this twice a day.

Upvote 0

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sound good for normal routine.
but look into phyto ,rotifers ,possibly starting your own culture.

feed to adults a day or two prior to birth,the fry need them immediately after birth .

do you have pods in system ?
gut loaded pods for adults prior to birth ,is a bonus.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Msrere386

Msrere386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound good for normal routine.
but look into phyto ,rotifers ,possibly starting your own culture.

feed to adults a day or two prior to birth,the fry need them immediately after birth .

do you have pods in system ?
gut loaded pods for adults prior to birth ,is a bonus.
Not really. I’ve put pods in but I don’t think they ever had a chance to populate. I’ve experimented with a few things… I attempted to grow my own mysid so the commons ate Most almost immediately, and I saved a few in a different tank which have grown very big… I have discovered some pods growing in that tank so I’ve kind of tried to introduce a few into both pony tanks to hope nature prevails…

Upvote 0

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how about macro in systems?
i tried for a couple of yrs 2 males 1 female.
best was 28 days , it's a tough gig ,and a lot of work to be successful.
phyto/roti's/pods are going to be key ...;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Msrere386

Msrere386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some chaeto and some & p
i have some chaeto and some of the red lettuce stuff. I do feed phyto every few days.

Upvote 0

Nikki Polley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. We’re supposed in here but I figure I need some help. So I have this journey of seahorses that I’ve been doing. Since March 2021. I have a 10 gallon dwarf seahorse tank and a 40 gallon lined seahorse tank. So here’s the history:

when I first bought my lined seahorses, the male was already pregnant and gave birth like, two days after I got Them. I did not know what to do, the babies seemed to be swimming happily and then I saw they were reducing in numbers over the course of a week…took lots of homework needed for me to realize some were sucked into the filter, some I think starved b/c the tank was so big and I think they didn’t get their brine shrimp like they needed to. I think i was still struggling with the water levels at that time as well, so unfortunately they all died.

Then he had more I want to say…two months ago? this brood seemed different. Weaker. He did not have as many as the first time, and it seemed like a lot of those fry fell straight to the ground and were struggling to swim.

let me backtrack just a little bit… Before he had his second brood, switching over to my dwarfs, they started having their own success… I lost track of how many times they’ve had babies and many are there and they all seem to be doing fine. Water levels are perfect… So of course I thought I knew what I was doing and I also read that fry can go into the dwarf tank as well because it’s smaller right?

OK, back to the 2nd brood of the lined seahorses, the ones that were swimming, I moved into the dwarf tank and I tried to save a few that weren’t swimming well but they ultimately died. Now, I probably won’t know until I see some horses that are bigger than the others, but I’m pretty sure the few that made it to the dwaef tank died as well.

So now my current issue is that he had a third brood earlier this week and same thing as a second time… Only about six or seven were actually able to swim while the others struggled on the ground, I moved them, and now there are 4 that I’ve seen consistently swimming in the dwarf tank.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. Why are they coming out weak and unable to swim? What are they dying within a week of birth? Both tanks have maintained perfect water levels. PH between 8.2 and 8.4, ammonia and nitrites zero, and when I tested the dwarf tank the other day before moving the babies in there, the nitrates were at zero. I did attempt to set up a small tank just for the baby fry but I’m sure I did it too quick and it has not gotten to cycle because I tested that water yesterday and the ammonia and nitrites were bad so I did not put them in there. But I’m like, my dwarf fry are fine…what’s going on with my commons?
Hey, how you getting on with the fry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Msrere386

Msrere386

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic. Everyone died but my 2 common males. It’s been depressing. Nitrate spikes. Nitrates in dwarf tank took too long to regulate regardless of water change and stuff I was putting in. Entire dwarf tank died within a week…about 3 days after all died, I tested water before breaking down tank…all was normal again. they just didn’t have enough time for it to be corrected. About the same for my 2 lady lined seahorses. They stopped eating. As their nitrates spiked, I tried to do several things to regulate water including water changes and adding another filter etc..but I noticed they weren’t eating. Pretty sure they felt so bad and just starved. Water just tested normally yesterday, 2/6. As for fry, I looked up kreisel aquarium and kinda made my own. I think that was the thing I needed for my common fry to survive. Makes sense on why I had so much success with dwarf fry and none with common fry. However my journey on testing has been prolonged…I’m pretty sure my Preggo Male Clyde let go of the babies during the water crisis. Shortly after my ladies died, he no longer looked plump. I’m going to wait a day or 2, do a water change, hope that things stay normal. If so, I’ll get 2 more females and hope for the best. Try to pay closer attention to it all. I’m pretty sure my issue was not doing regular changes on both tanks. I was so happy with the levels finally being right that I was afraid to change anything thinking it would mess it up. As a result, aquarium walls and plants started looking dirty so I started cleaning, and I’m sure I disturbed and released all the stored/hidden nitrates at once when I did.

Upvote 0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will loose fry if the bbs are not “gut loaded” for 24 - 48hrs prior to feed to the fry…
Ocean Nutrition sells live and concentrated phyto, I’d get the refrigerated concentrate for now and a few 2l bottles and a cheap air pump …. hatch the bbs, strain, change the water and feed phyto for 24hrs
….strain and sterilize the bbs hatch with peroxide …
I can detail this out later but new hatch bbs have almost no value after their 1st Instar

Upvote 0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added, staying under 75F and keeping tank and water pristine is critical all things being equal…
in the fry tank a daily wipe down is essential
narcissus snails and small hermits are helpful…
I use air driven stuff, sponge filters are ok but a corner filter with ceramic media is easier, shake out and rinse in sw every other. day or so
…get some Kanaplex or equivalent for vibrio outbreaks should your cleanliness slack or temps rise, et et….
don’t expect much $$$ for your efforts…
I had a similar post to yours 3yrs ago and didn’t know anything…good luck

Upvote 0

Nikki Polley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tragic. Everyone died but my 2 common males. It’s been depressing. Nitrate spikes. Nitrates in dwarf tank took too long to regulate regardless of water change and stuff I was putting in. Entire dwarf tank died within a week…about 3 days after all died, I tested water before breaking down tank…all was normal again. they just didn’t have enough time for it to be corrected. About the same for my 2 lady lined seahorses. They stopped eating. As their nitrates spiked, I tried to do several things to regulate water including water changes and adding another filter etc..but I noticed they weren’t eating. Pretty sure they felt so bad and just starved. Water just tested normally yesterday, 2/6. As for fry, I looked up kreisel aquarium and kinda made my own. I think that was the thing I needed for my common fry to survive. Makes sense on why I had so much success with dwarf fry and none with common fry. However my journey on testing has been prolonged…I’m pretty sure my Preggo Male Clyde let go of the babies during the water crisis. Shortly after my ladies died, he no longer looked plump. I’m going to wait a day or 2, do a water change, hope that things stay normal. If so, I’ll get 2 more females and hope for the best. Try to pay closer attention to it all. I’m pretty sure my issue was not doing regular changes on both tanks. I was so happy with the levels finally being right that I was afraid to change anything thinking it would mess it up. As a result, aquarium walls and plants started looking dirty so I started cleaning, and I’m sure I disturbed and released all the stored/hidden nitrates at once when I did.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back