Live aquaria captive bred

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I could probably just ask them but looking more for a third party opinion. I've read that captive bred fish are "disease free". Is this just an advertisement? Or, if you're starting from scratch and don't have any other fish that could be infected, would you need to quarantine a pair of captive bred clowns or would there be no point? The question is what's attached to what system? Is there a place you can for sure order captive bred disease free fish from? I'm willing to set up a quarantine but wondering if it is necessary to put captive bred livestock through it.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i put my Live Aquaria captive bred fish through QT. It never hurts to have the safety cushion. Can you gamble and get lucky? Of course, but you can have 100% confidence after QT. I’ve had success not treating the fish and observing for 6 weeks In QT of captive bred animals.

OP
OP
vessxpress1

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just ordered seachem cupramine,para guard and ammonia badge. Anything else that should be dosed with this stuff as a precaution? I know opinions are mixed but should I fresh water dip them or just avoid it if they look decent?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just ordered seachem cupramine,para guard and ammonia badge. Anything else that should be dosed with this stuff as a precaution? I know opinions are mixed but should I fresh water dip them or just avoid it if they look decent?
I do this now. My success rate has increased dramatically.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only QT you can truly trust is your own. And I have put captive bred clowns through QT. One of the pair acted like it had flukes. And now it's happy and healthy in my DT.
This 110%

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the source, I always QT. I have a couple of fish that looked totally healthy when acquired, show signs of illness within a few days.
Better safe than sorry.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mix their captive bred fish with wild caught fish so they should be treated the same as wild caught. Only exception would be if you got fish that were shipped straight from ORA

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back