Live clams from Publix

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 10 clams from Publix for 50 cents each. I think they are cold water variety. My wife left them in the fridge overnight, I assumed they would be dead or dying the next morning, but to my surprise they were all still closed up. I put them in a bucket and drip acclimated for about 20 minutes and left for work. Came back in yesterday afternoon and they all looked good so I dropped them in the tank. As of this morning 8 of 10 have burrowed into the sand. Think they will survive? If not they should be good food for my clean up crew. If I see them start to open up I will pull them before they rot.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 out of 5 still alive in my 90. One was sacrificed to the puffer tank when I ran out of food one evening lol. I check them from time to time by pulling them up and making them dig back down. They have been in there for about 5-6 months, so they should live at least that long lol.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On hwy 72 in Athens. I got the idea from the clam section of this forum. They were saying that they could live 4-5 years if they were from Florida. I figured if they don't make it they would be good treats for the clean up crew.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 didn't dig in and now a little crab is sitting on top of a clam that is 10 times his size. I almost wish him luck.

Frank Scalfano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing with clams from Publix a couple of years ago, they lasted a few months but are all gone now. I have not repeated the experiment since I discovered oysters growing in my tank.

Frank Scalfano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got all my rock from Richard Londeree at Tampa Bay. It was a couple years ago, but just last spring I discovered some new bivalves growing on the rock, which according to my books are a species of gulf oysters. That's also where my stony tube corals came from.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I got some Tampa Bay rock about 20 years ago. They had some type of clam/bivalve on them about as big as a quarter. They would move at night and leave a trail in the sand. They didn't live through the cycle though.

Frank Scalfano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have at least two kinds of bivalve, one of which is closely adherent to the rock. The oysters open more than those, which only have a small siphon showing. Of course, originally I had a lot more diversity with cup coral and barnacles, but most of it died off eventually.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
Back