Live Rock Green Algea

Stellywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all new to the forums. I've searched a bit, but have not found quite what I was looking for. Or if I have it's been worse then the stage I'm at. But as my title states, I have a BioCube 32 that's been up for just about 3 months. It's been a month since diatoms have disappeared and all seemed well. Now I'm getting green algea forming on the glass and on the live rock itself. If heard that this is a normal part of having an immature tank and it's part of the process, but I've also been told that this should not happen. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

My tank parameters are as follows.

PH 8.2
Ammonia 0.0ppm
Nitrites 0.0ppm
Nitrates 5.0ppm
Phosphate 0.0 (Hanna test)
Alkalinity 8.7
Calcium 475
Magnesium 1400

As filteration I have 32 pounds of live rock,
Chemipure blue, a skimmer, phosphate pad, and filterfloss.

Thank you again for any input!
15759401445524183896078468898864.jpg
15759401998462139523562019824484.jpg
15759401784866913126826262171514.jpg

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me. Thats what happened to me. i would just give it some time for bacteria and micro fauna to stabalize it.

rubytuesday52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a pretty healthy set up. In setting up my tank I didn’t introduce any swimming organisms until I had clear and stable parameters. There’s an article on this somewhere on the “ugly tank phase” and it’s a sign that nature is trying to find a balance which means you’re doing well. It takes patience being a member of tankhood but it looks like your little nano cube is healthy. But I don’t know what your water testing and water change routine is so I’m only going on the pics. Green algae and red slime (cyano) are a normal natural process and it just means the bacteria in your tank are trying to establish balance. Everything in this hobby is about finding an equilibrium and we try to emulate nature as much as possible. There’s some really good threads on here about what to expect as a newbie so I’d recommend you read through them. I also read up on husbandry of saltwater tanks in my local library reference section and that gave me some info on troubleshooting.

OP
OP
Stellywags

Stellywags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a pretty healthy set up. In setting up my tank I didn’t introduce any swimming organisms until I had clear and stable parameters. There’s an article on this somewhere on the “ugly tank phase” and it’s a sign that nature is trying to find a balance which means you’re doing well. It takes patience being a member of tankhood but it looks like your little nano cube is healthy. But I don’t know what your water testing and water change routine is so I’m only going on the pics. Green algae and red slime (cyano) are a normal natural process and it just means the bacteria in your tank are trying to establish balance. Everything in this hobby is about finding an equilibrium and we try to emulate nature as much as possible. There’s some really good threads on here about what to expect as a newbie so I’d recommend you read through them. I also read up on husbandry of saltwater tanks in my local library reference section and that gave me some info on troubleshooting.
Thank you! I do a 10% water change every week with water from my RO/DI system with a 0.0 TDS and use Instant ocean reef salt mix. I test my water peramiters every other day. Ill have to do a search and read those threads. Thank you for your input, I greatly apperciate it!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back