Live Sand Question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, this is a very newbie question as I've always had freshwater before. I received my live sand today, and my salt, and my RO unit.

It might take a day or so to get the water I need. In the meantime, can I add the sand? Or do I need to wait until the water is ready to go in so it doesn't dry out. How long can the sand be in the tank without the water added.

thanks.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your rock. You want rock in first so that it sits directly on the bottom of the tank. If you place rock on top of sand, shifting sand could cause for rock to collapse.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is in I wanted to put sand next and retest all stability and cement a couple places but might take a couple days to get the water made
20161211_194659_zpsm15rmqhr.jpg

adamk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would wait on the sand until you have all your water mixed up....i used that epoxy putty stuff to glue my rocks together and they are solid as a rock, no pun intended haha

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Now it appears that you have nice new "dead" rock. So you will have to allow it to cure.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put the water in next, then the sand. You can make it less messy by laying the open bag of sand underwater on the bottom of the tank. Then gently pour it out. Way less of a sandstorm. If it's dry sand, I'd rinse it first. If it's live, don't rinse!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, the rock is dead, not alive. I went that route to avoid hitchhikers. When I see my daughter at xmas, she'll bring me a live rock to add to my tank to help seed. Also have the bottled bac. to add. Thanks, glb. No room on floor to put a bag of sand. I'm going to have to scoop it out of the bag and plop in. From the ladder yet! Tank is 5 feet tall. I'm 5 feet tall....

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you still need to cure that rock. The good news is that you will be able to cure while you're cycling. Just keep an eye on nitrate and phosphate numbers, and when they get high, do water changes to keep the cure going. Slow and steady is the way to go.

adamk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you put the sand in first just put a tupperware container and pour the water into that and let it gently overflow the tupperware that will greatly reduce clouding

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul--I know it will take a while to cycle and will be patient! Taking the time to research.

Thanks for the tip adamk

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Rock is that Susan? It looks like mostly Marcos or BRS reef saver with maybe some pukani? (It's hard to tell on my phone)

amazonjoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does cure the rock mean and what does it do and how long will it take?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curing allows the dead stuff (bacteria. algae, etc.) that's in/on the rock to degrade and leach out. It typically takes one to two months, but could take longer if it was "dirty" rock. You will monitor nitrates and phosphates (maybe measure weekly, or as needed), and when it gets high, do a water change to allow it to continue to cure. You just need saltwater and a powerhead for water movement. No light or heat is needed (assuming it's in a heated house).

It differs for cycling where that allows new bacteria to take up residence in the rock (and sand, if it's there). Note that curing and cycling can occur simultaneously, as is being done by the OP. Just need to make sure you don't mistake the presence of nitrates (from the cure) as a sign your cycle is done.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rory, the majority, the whitish stuff is Marco's Rock, the one shelf is Tonga from BRS, and the piece in the back, and on top center on right is pukani. I have more shelves but in this final layout, they didn't fit so I'll hang on to them. Very happy with the selections sent

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rory, the majority, the whitish stuff is Marco's Rock, the one shelf is Tonga from BRS, and the piece in the back, and on top center on right is pukani. I have more shelves but in this final layout, they didn't fit so I'll hang on to them. Very happy with the selections sent

Oh ok... well it looks good ;)

You won't get any die off from the Marcos, but will have some from the Pukani and Tonga for sure.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rory. I didn't want to deal with nasty hitchhikers! Maybe the dead stuff will help the tank cycle faster? One can hope...

adamk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the dead stuff will contribute to the ammonia you want yea but if theres a lot of it then it could decay slowly and prolong your cycle by slowly turning to ammonia over a longer period of time. There is more organic material in the little crevices than you would think. it looks like you only have a few lbs on tonga and pukani so i wouldn't stress to much on it.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, adamk! Okay, my pump to pump water into the tank is due in today--not sure what time. Can I go ahead and put in the live sand and get that out of the way? I can use a pitcher and add some water to keep it wet but won't have any air flow until I can get all water into the tank. Or do I need to wait until I'm absolutely ready to pump that water in.

adamk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont see a problem with that...id fill it up as high as you can until it starts overflowing into the back where the pump goes....it actually kinda makes sense to do that first then your not pumping a bunch of sand particles through your pump because no matter how careful you are its going to cloud up when you pour water in.....im just a noob tho im not 100 % i just had all the same questions you did not long ago when i was starting so I've recently went through everything you are.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back