Live White worms

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love having my white worm colonies on hand. I try to feed them to the fish at least once a week with spirulina flakes that I hit with just a little water to soften them up for the worms. I have more or less overcome the issue of dirt separation from the worms when gathering them. I used the lid of a plastic deli cup with a section of the lid cut off on some plastic mesh under it to keep dirt of the lid bottom. I place the spirulina flakes part on the dirt and part in the lid which is why it is important to put just a little water on the deli cup lid so the worms have a moist area to crawl on when they feed. After they have been given some time to start feeding I just pickup the deli cup lid and rinse the worms into a cup with water. I normally only get a few stray pieces of dirt using this method.
20200204_214142.jpg

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how quickly do these things reproduce? can I pick out maybe 10~20 worms a day with 2 containers 6" x 3" size?

I have a fish that is not eating much but is even fighting with a bully Gramma for the worms, but I only got the culture last weekend. I am feeding bread with yogurt, as well as pellet food that my fish don't really want.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-20 worms would be hard to get as it is easier to get 50-100.
Especially the small ones as they are all over the place in blobs.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-20 worms would be hard to get as it is easier to get 50-100.
Especially the small ones as they are all over the place in blobs.

I guess thatll be true when the colony completely establishes itself, right now one of my boxes is definitely growing but I am using a toothpick to cherry pick about 20 out everyday, I'm just not sure if doing that every day will impact the repreproduction

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping to give these a try pretty soon. What do you all keep your cultures in?

I 3d printed a sieve that holds bridal veil and sifted potting soil. it is very soft and takes moisture well.

I went to the dollar store and bought a 3-pack of this plastic container about 6x4" and 4" tall. filled about 2 inches with the sifted dirt, moistenes with water and microwaved 5 min to sterilize.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No cat, so no cat food ..... have a dog though. Will the worms start barking?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong. Culture has been going for about six weeks. Although there are more worms than Initially, no sign of large accumulations yet. Feeding weekly, soil moist, no light, romantic music .....

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remember how long, but initially my culture didn't seam to do much as well. Than all of a sudden it just seamed to take off.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong. Culture has been going for about six weeks. Although there are more worms than Initially, no sign of large accumulations yet. Feeding weekly, soil moist, no light, romantic music .....
I started mine about 6 weeks ago as well, just seem to be getting higher numbers now, still not enough to be of ay use yet...

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you feed are you spreading out the food or are you putting it in one place? I normally put all my food in one area to get them in large groups.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back