White Worms for food

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO worms are about the best food you can feed along with clams. These foods contain bacteria "That our fish need" to stay healthy along with the fats, minerals and everything else to keep them healthy.
I hear all the time that worms are to hard to keep and they have to be kept cool. No, they don't, they want to be kept in the same temperature you live in. If you live in Death Valley and you have no AC, internet or fresh water, move.

For the rest of you that live on a volcano and the lava laps at your front door,
Can't you get a cheap Styrofoam cooler, put the worms in there with a small freezer pack and change it once a day? Suspend the freezer pack so the worms don't crawl on it. I mean Really! :eek:

Your fish don't really care if you have to go a little out of your way, especially after they were sitting there, or rather floating there, minding their own business and some Jiboni in a canoe listening to RAP music jumped near them with a huge net from Walmart and scooped them up. Ate most of them, sold some to a market that puts them in a can labeled "Dolphin Safe", and threw the rest in a bucket that he hauls gas and salami sandwiches in to a wholesaler where they sit in the sun in a cement tub with floating Toyota tires for a week with no food, then they are put in a bag and shipped over 47 hours to a store where the guy throws them in a small tank and puts a sign on them that reads $49.95, two for $50.00, and no guarantee. :oops:

Then you come along and the guy puts them in a small bag that you keep them in for two hours while you eat at Bonefish Grill. After that you throw them in an observation tank, because they haven't been observed enough, then dip them in insect repellent, tarter sauce and gasoline to remove flukes and flounders. Then quarantine them for 6 months while feeding them expired flakes.
Lady GaGa wears a fluke dress and no one dipped her.
And you have the nerve to complain that you can't find a place to store a couple of worms. :rolleyes:

Then you wonder why you are constantly on the disease forum with sentences that always start out with the word "HELP". :cool:

The worms don't want to freeze, just be at room temperature like 71 or so like I want to live. Where do you guys live? Mars?
My worms are in a Tupperware tub in my workshop. It is hot in there now and I don't see them sweating.
I am fed up to here with excuses. My hand is under my chin. Just get with the program and your fish will live forever with no help from you. Stop bothering them and let them be.

Start a white worm culture. All you need is a Tupperwear tub like your wife stores her underwear in. Remove her underwear and tell her the cat ate them and use the tub. Make some holes in the top in case the worms want to breathe. Put in some wet "potting soil" not top soil, not saw dust, not real dust from your vacuum cleaner, not gravel or sand. Potting soil, preferably without fertilizer. Throw in the starter culture of worms that you Google. Put in half a slice of bread, I use grain bread but I think they would eat your socks. Put some full fatted yogurt on it and wait a couple of weeks. Your neighbors will be so impressed with how many worms you have, and how often your wife has to go and buy new underwear.

Feed them to your fish and they will live for almost 5 days in salt water so mandarins, crabs and almost everything else except pipefish will feast on them. You will never again have to go on a disease thread.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
You just made my morning. I agree completely. My worms have made it through 80 temps with no issues and the critters love them.

As for bedding, I use cheap potting soil from Walmart. It’s the organic kind (I know, organic soil right? But it has no fertilizer).

Food is usually easy, as my kids do not like the crust of bread. White bread works and so does grain bread. They have even had hot dog buns that were a bit on the hard side from being old lol.

But you are right. It is super easy, the tub can even be kept under your aquarium stand, so it is out of site.

Also thanks again for the wonderful presentation of this. I wish I had your eloquence with words lol.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are grindal worms ok to feed marine fish too, i have a culture for my liquorice gouramis but wasnt sure if they were safe for marine fish. Quite an interesting read too haha

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had your eloquence with words lol.

What Eloquence?

I have no idea if you can feed a grindal worm to a Licorice gourami or feed liquorice to a grindal worm. :rolleyes:

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always read that they don’t do well in temps around 75F+. Their ideal temps are in the 60s. In the summer my home is frequently in the 80s. I REALLY don’t want rotting worms in my room.

I have a Grindal worm culture, but I’d rather have a white worm culture, if they’d do well in the 70-80 range.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the concrete floor in my fish room. The tank is around 80F. The house is 77F. The the temp measured under one of my plastic worm containers and the floor is 78F. This is with a digital cookin thermometer . In the fall they go back out into the garage.

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the concrete floor in my fish room. The tank is around 80F. The house is 77F. The the temp measured under one of my plastic worm containers and the floor is 78F. This is with a digital cookin thermometer . In the fall they go back out into the garage.

Hmm. I’ll try a culture once the temps drop and I don’t have to worry about a dead pile of muck via mail.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my culture from Oregon. They send the soil worm mixture thru the post office. Takes 2 days. Not sure where in Ca you are. Redding or Fresno prob not the time.

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my culture from Oregon. They send the soil worm mixture thru the post office. Takes 2 days. Not sure where in Ca you are. Redding or Fresno prob not the time.
Bay Area, but all the eBay sellers seem to ship it ground, and it’s warm enough (upper 80s) that I wouldn’t be confident in the post office at the moment. I’m patient though. :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bay Area, but all the eBay sellers seem to ship it ground, and it’s warm enough (upper 80s) that I wouldn’t be confident in the post office at the moment. I’m patient though. :)
Maybe take a drive up the coast

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always read that they don’t do well in temps around 75F+.

What you have always read is wrong. :p
I am in my Workshop/Man cave right now looking at the worms . It is just about 80 degrees and they are all sitting around sipping Pina Colada's.
My worm batch is over 10 years old and they live in the same temp as I do. Many times it gets hotter than this.

Would they be "Happier" if it was cooler? Maybe, but so would I. The worms have to live with me, I don't have to live with them so if they don't like the climate, they will just have to get over it. :cool:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in my Workshop/Man cave right now looking at the worms . It is just about 80 degrees and they are all sitting around sipping Pina Colada's.
:cool:
they are all sitting around sipping Pina Colada's. And listening to Jimmy Buffet im sure

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMO worms are about the best food you can feed along with clams. These foods contain bacteria "That our fish need" to stay healthy along with the fats, minerals and everything else to keep them healthy.
I hear all the time that worms are to hard to keep and they have to be kept cool. No, they don't, they want to be kept in the same temperature you live in. If you live in Death Valley and you have no AC, internet or fresh water, move.

For the rest of you that live on a volcano and the lava laps at your front door,
Can't you get a cheap Styrofoam cooler, put the worms in there with a small freezer pack and change it once a day? Suspend the freezer pack so the worms don't crawl on it. I mean Really! :eek:

Your fish don't really care if you have to go a little out of your way, especially after they were sitting there, or rather floating there, minding their own business and some Jiboni in a canoe listening to RAP music jumped near them with a huge net from Walmart and scooped them up. Ate most of them, sold some to a market that puts them in a can labeled "Dolphin Safe", and threw the rest in a bucket that he hauls gas and salami sandwiches in to a wholesaler where they sit in the sun in a cement tub with floating Toyota tires for a week with no food, then they are put in a bag and shipped over 47 hours to a store where the guy throws them in a small tank and puts a sign on them that reads $49.95, two for $50.00, and no guarantee. :oops:

Then you come along and the guy puts them in a small bag that you keep them in for two hours while you eat at Bonefish Grill. After that you throw them in an observation tank, because they haven't been observed enough, then dip them in insect repellent, tarter sauce and gasoline to remove flukes and flounders. Then quarantine them for 6 months while feeding them expired flakes.
Lady GaGa wears a fluke dress and no one dipped her.
And you have the nerve to complain that you can't find a place to store a couple of worms. :rolleyes:

Then you wonder why you are constantly on the disease forum with sentences that always start out with the word "HELP". :cool:

The worms don't want to freeze, just be at room temperature like 71 or so like I want to live. Where do you guys live? Mars?
My worms are in a Tupperware tub in my workshop. It is hot in there now and I don't see them sweating.
I am fed up to here with excuses. My hand is under my chin. Just get with the program and your fish will live forever with no help from you. Stop bothering them and let them be.

Start a white worm culture. All you need is a Tupperwear tub like your wife stores her underwear in. Remove her underwear and tell her the cat ate them and use the tub. Make some holes in the top in case the worms want to breathe. Put in some wet "potting soil" not top soil, not saw dust, not real dust from your vacuum cleaner, not gravel or sand. Potting soil, preferably without fertilizer. Throw in the starter culture of worms that you Google. Put in half a slice of bread, I use grain bread but I think they would eat your socks. Put some full fatted yogurt on it and wait a couple of weeks. Your neighbors will be so impressed with how many worms you have, and how often your wife has to go and buy new underwear.

Feed them to your fish and they will live for almost 5 days in salt water so mandarins, crabs and almost everything else except pipefish will feast on them. You will never again have to go on a disease thread.

Breakfast of champions right there!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think it's Vintage Linda Ronstadt. :cool:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Paul B what do you think about feeding mosquito larva to a tank? I saw a thread recently asking that question, and I got to thinking those would be super easy to cultivate...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back